Seamatt's Build

This post is pre-mature but I wanted to put my ideas somewhere for my tank build.
It's been a while since I've run a salt tank. I'm open for input and suggestions.

The general type: SPS/LPS with Fish

Tank - I want it deep and big. Not sure if I'll go glass or Acrylic. Kinda depends the layout of the house we're looking for...

Stand/Canopy - I'll build my own

Return Pump - ?

Lighting - Undecided. I like what LEDS can do for color but I'm not sure I will rely on them for growth. Probably a combo of LED and MH.

Circulation - ?

Skimmer - Eurotech - I already have it. Can't remember which one but it's a biggun.

Sump/Fuge - I have a sump but it may not be big enough. It was rated for 300 gallons but I like big sumps.

Controller - Probably an Apex. On my previous 90 gallon, I never had more than an ATO and power strip timers for lights. Everything else was manual on my last tank. With a Family I know I need to cut down on the labor.

Reactors – I have one that was made by a reefer. I could never get it to run correctly but I think my Tank valve was busted. Currently my CO2 is running a freshwater planted tank. I'm learning about Bio-pellets as well.

Heater - Not sure

Rock/Sand – Still working on this too. Probably get the bulk of it dry and then seed it.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My thoughts:

Tank = glass.... acrylic scratches too easy and is by far more expensive.

return pump = an external reeflo seems to be a great choice since it runs low wattage and you are able to run a lot more than just a return, think reactors!

Lighting = LED are the way to go. They grow just as good as MH if not better, and much less power consumption. Programmability is the best. Im a big fan of the radions or AI's for what they can do. I am not a big fan of chinese knock offs even if they are cheap as hell.... you get what ya pay for!

Circulation = Ecotech, Vortech, Sicce, or Koralia. Same as above, i am not a big fan of chinese knockoffs...

Sump/fuge = If you are going to replace your sump, build your own, and go as big as you can fit.

Controller = Apex = cool!

Reactors = I prefer a reactor for GFO and carbon.... so far I am not a fan of biopelletes or zeovit. Can run these off an external pump easily.

Heater = Eheim or a titanium.....

Rock/sand = Real Reef cured manmade rock, and dry sand....its what Im planning on for my next 2 setups.

Thanks Smiley.
Regarding Circulation and Reactors. I don't want things in my tank and have been thinking about a closed loop system. Do people tend to incorporate their GFO and Carbon in the closed loop or should that still remain part of the sump setup?
Regarding dosing/calcium/kalk. Are people still using calcium/kalk reactors or have people just started running dosing pumps on a controller?