Seeding a new HOB filter

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So question for the masses. Setting up a new HOB filter and it comes with a bag that has the white filter media (like crushed coral but it's ceramic or something). Thought I would stick it in my existing refugium with the other live rock to get it going. How long should I leave it since I can't think of a good way to see that the bacteria has grown on the new media?

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah see. That's the problem. All my fuge rock is boulders. No rubble. Guess I could smash it up but easier to clean whole. Just having the media sit on top of some now

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Adam are trying to see your new frag flat? If so you should look at the marine pure bio filter media. I have one of the 4x8x8 blocks in my sump and it's been there for 4-5 weeks at least. If you want to buy a block you are welcome to take mine that is definitely seeded in exchange. You know how to find me if you want to chat more about it.

* I also believe Scott has been running some in his system for a bit too.

http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure.php

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok. I was going to ping you both to see if I could get some. I actually set up a Q tank for my angler fish while I am waiting for the new tank to get set up. I have the new pair of seahorses in his tank and I hate doing water changes so I was trying to come up with something for the 20 gallon Q with the angler. The seahorses are going to the frag tank once it is set up.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Although on the marinepure blocks if you seeded them in a tank that had ich could it move it to the new tank? I guess in the cyst stage it could find it's way into the media. Just wondering if I seed it in my tank but I know that I have had ich. No out break in at least 6 months but it's still there

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are there fish in the tank that you'd be seeding the media in? If so...then I wouldn't risk seeding media in that tank. If you've been fishless for close to 8 weeks you should be OK.

Alternatively...you could seed the tank with media from the tank that had ich and wait 8 weeks or so before adding fish to the new tank.

Take my "8 week" recommendation with a grain of salt. There are suggestions ranging everywhere from 4 weeks to 4 months...but 8 weeks at ~78 degrees without host fish should be long enough to make sure the ich is gone.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;341846 said:
Are there fish in the tank that you'd be seeding the media in? If so...then I wouldn't risk seeding media in that tank. If you've been fishless for close to 8 weeks you should be OK.

Alternatively...you could seed the tank with media from the tank that had ich and wait 8 weeks or so before adding fish to the new tank.

Take my "8 week" recommendation with a grain of salt. There are suggestions ranging everywhere from 4 weeks to 4 months...but 8 weeks at ~78 degrees without host fish should be long enough to make sure the ich is gone.
Thanks Khalis. Kinda what I was thinking as well. Can seahorses get ich?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
fiji4118;341847 said:
Thanks Khalis. Kinda what I was thinking as well. Can seahorses get ich?
Good question! I'm no expert...but they are in the same family as pipefish and differ at the genus level. A quick check online returned a pretty inconclusive set of opinions. Some say no...others swear they have had it happen. Probably a case of "better safe than sorry".

I doubt ich would present on the skin of a seahorse, but I can't see how the parasite would discern between the exposed gills of a fish vs a seahorse. IMO it seems possible...I have no science to back that up though :)

edit: this certainly looks like ich to me

http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/forum/fish-coral-diseases/17702-seahorses-ich-2.html#post171938

Last edited by a moderator: