Seeding tank with pods

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm going to have to seed my new tank with pods since I bought a pair of Dragonface Pipefish last night from Gonzo. What pods should I seed with? I was thinking of ordering 4 of these:

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.p...category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58

Is that my best bet? He also offers these:

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.p...category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58

But says in his own description that they probably aren't worth buying.

Anybody have any ideas? I was hoping to seed the tank, then wait about a week or 2 to add the fish to the tank. Rock is already cycled in a stock tank, just have to finish up a few things on the stand.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great white aquatic sells tiger or Tigre great pods to buy I only dosed once for a mandarin and haven't needed to since.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tiger pods won't reproduce in aquarium the best place to buy pods honestly is reefs2 go there pods are awesome

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craig, you think that the $40 for ~2000 pods is worth it from them?

http://reefnutrition.com/tigger_pods.html i would assume they breed from the faqs tab

On the contrary, Tigger-Pods (Tigriopus californicus) LOVE warm water and will thrive in your reef tank. They are native to the west coast of North America. They range from the cold waters of Washington state to the very warm waters of Mexico.

They can live semi-dormant for many weeks when stored in a refrigerator. Warmer water speeds up their metabolism and reproductive rate. Tigger-Pods will reproduce very well in your sump or refugium, especially if they are fed with products that contain large amounts of brown algae. They can also feed a bit on green algae, but it is much harder for them to digest. Phyto-Feast is primarily brown algae and is an excellent feed for all types of copepods. It will typically take 20-35 days to see a significant population spike because of their slow life cycle (laying eggs, hatching, growing to a noticeable size). More information is available in the Tigger-Pod FAQ below

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
I followed Craig's advice and bought pods from reefs2go and they were large and very very healthy!

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I bought pods from Reefs2go just last week. Everything arrived in good condition. They're shipped in filter material and when I put the filter material in my tank, literally thousands of pods flew off it into the rock work. I think a majority of the pods were those big ones (~2mm) that are easy to see. I hope there were lots of the ones you can't see, just to have diversity.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So it was worth the $40 plus shipping?

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They run deals on them for buy one get one free all the time so you buy 1000 you get 1000 free. There the best I have ever seen I have a gift card to there if someone wants to split shipping

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, they currently have the buy one get one free deal. I'll have to see if anybody else needs anything.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool. It'll be about a week before I'm ready to order. That is if I can get the tank moved in this weekend.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No problem I'm in no hurry I have plenty of pods but would like a good diversity for my pair of mandarins.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aqua Imports in Boulder has some from time to time you might check there as well. They seem to go pretty fast though so you have to catch them right when they have them. Sounds like Craig has the hook up though.

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
They have free shipping quite often when they are running specials. I'll go in on an order too if you need a larger order, do they do any group sales? My mandarin munches them down quickly.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jagermeister;203712 said:
I thought it was worth it. They were running a special when I got them, buy 1000 get 1000 for $30 plus free shipping.
Man that is a sweet deal! Way better than paying 20 bucks for tiger pods that are only good for a couple feedings at best.