Sexing clownfish suggestions

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
I have 4 clowns all about 3 years old. They all swim together and are big. Two are true misbar percs and two are black and whites. One true perc is larger than the other and one black and white is larger than the other. The smaller true perc is larger than both black and whites and I have seen both percs sticking together and one perc and one black and white sticking together so not sure who is doing what. There were all together as juvis and all still get along. I want to separate into two pairs and see if I can get them spawning. Any suggestions?

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
I thought once a female always a female so if I pick wrong and get two females I would eventually end up with 3 females and 1 male

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
LeviK;314297 said:
I thought once a female always a female so if I pick wrong and get two females I would eventually end up with 3 females and 1 male
You are correct. clowns can go neutral to male, neutral to female, and male to female only. once female always female. If they havent seperated and tend to stay in one flock, chances are you have 1 female and 3 males.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
That makes sense as one of the true percs is probably 4 inches long from nose to end of tail maybe 5 inches, she is big. So next question is, any advantage to trying to get a true perc misbar female to mate with a black and white oc?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you breed them, you can grt some interesting colors and patterns. Thats how designer clownfish started. Otherwise its just extra live food for your tank and doesnt make any difference.