Should I add Valentini

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey All,

Puffers have always been my favorite fish, but I have NEVER owned one because they eat other fish in the freshwater world, and eat the CUC/corals in the saltwater world. I know there are stories of people keeping smaller puffers successfully in a reef tank with no issue, but I've held off on getting one because I think this is the exception rather than the rule.

However, my LFS got the SMALLEST valentini puffer in I've ever seen (under one inch, probably closer to 1/2") that I am considering. I figure I have these factors in my favor:
1. He's really really tiny can't imagine him tackling my CUC members (probably a bad argument)
2. He would be the last fish added to my tank, may accept existing members as non-food
3. The only critter I would mind losing would be my cleaner shrimp, who is big, 3" - 4"

Anyway despite these factors I realize its maybe still a bad idea, but maybe someone can prove me wrong :)

Appreciate any feedback.
Max

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Keep him fat and happy and he wont bother your inverts. That's my way to keep fish off corals and cleaners. You need to make sure you get him his meaty foods and not just pellets.

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;295271 said:
Keep him fat and happy and he wont bother your inverts. That's my way to keep fish off corals and cleaners. You need to make sure you get him his meaty foods and not just pellets.
Thanks for the input Seth. For better or worse, I can't get any of my fish to eat pellets, so meaty foods is all he would get.

Unfortunately, puffers NEED to eat certain invertebrates. By crunching the shells, it helps keep their "teeth" shaved down. If they can't munch on shells or hard exoskeletons, their front "teeth" will become large and painful. They can get large enough that they can't eat any longer. I had a Valentini for a while and no matter how much food he ate, he still chomped on my CUC. They are beautiful fish though.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
aresgraphix;295277 said:
Unfortunately, puffers NEED to eat certain invertebrates. By crunching the shells, it helps keep their "teeth" shaved down. If they can't munch on shells or hard exoskeletons, their front "teeth" will become large and painful. They can get large enough that they can't eat any longer. I had a Valentini for a while and no matter how much food he ate, he still chomped on my CUC. They are beautiful fish though.

Clams by the half shell might be an option. to solve this problem

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the replies all, you've convinced me that it can be done! Unfortunately, I convinced myself that the livestock I would loses if things went poorly is too important for me to risk. Patience is supposedly the name of the game in this hobby, so I'll just have to painfully wait for my FO tank to get my first puffer.

I do appreciate the encouragement, and now there's a tiny tiny puffer available for anyone with more guts than myself!

Max

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
maxfrenkel19;295458 said:
Thanks for the replies all, you've convinced me that it can be done! Unfortunately, I convinced myself that the livestock I would loses if things went poorly is too important for me to risk. Patience is supposedly the name of the game in this hobby, so I'll just have to painfully wait for my FO tank to get my first puffer.

I do appreciate the encouragement, and now there's a tiny tiny puffer available for anyone with more guts than myself!

Max

Well maybe someday you can get yourself a dedicated tank for a puffer and soft corals or something like that. :)