sick rabbitfish

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did anything on or in the tank change recently that could stress him out? Any new additions to the tank? Do you have a QT that you could put him into for better observation?

lostman

Turbo Snail
Sadly no QT last week we got cleaner shrimp and 4 days b4 that a leather and three clowns all.water parameters are good

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Does he always hang out in that GSP or pipe organ coral (not sure which one it is)? That cant be good for him, Im pretty sure both GSP and pipe organ have stinging capabilities, I knwo they can harm corals, not sure about fish.

What are your water perams?

Tempature?

Looking at the picture I dont see anything that leads me to believe the fish is sick, he looks really healthy, so Id take a shot in the dark and say something is different in your water.

I would QT to a clean tank if you can and if not I would do a 25% water change and see if that help. If your temp is too high the oxygen in the water does not break down the same as it does in cooler temps, he may be sufficating. Again, without knowing your water peramiters its really hard to say what may be going on. Can you let us know what you salinity, nitrates, phosphates, ammonia, magnesium, ect. and temperature are?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I suppose I could join the thread instead of responding in chat. ;)

+1 to a water change if you can't QT him. That tends to solve the stressed fish mystery when it pops up in my tanks, even if parameters look good. I agree though, he doesn't look sick/infected...and even with pics that's hard to diagnose unless you have a close-up shot of a specific area with a lesion or something visibly wrong.

He looks stressed out more than anything else. If he's gasping you might even run an airstone or increase the surface agitation if a water change isn't an immediate possibility.

edit: missed that you just added a trio of clowns. Any chance that they've claimed an area of the tank that used to be his? If he's huddled up in an area of the tank that he usually doesn't frequent that's the first thing I'd consider.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea do a water change and keep an eye on him. Just on a hunch...my money would be on the clowns chasing him out of their newly established area. If he starts to look better, maybe feed the tank and see what happens. Sometimes you can get the submissive fish to venture out when the food is floating around, and you'll probably know right away whether your clowns have been pestering him.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
lostman;195089 said:
Sadly no QT last week we got cleaner shrimp and 4 days b4 that a leather and three clowns all.water parameters are good
What size is your tank? Are any of the other inhabitants acting funny? IM wondering if you have spiked your bio load

lostman

Turbo Snail
Reef but VERY young and with leather star polyps and two zoas is the max extent of my reefness currently i just got home from middle school and.found him like this