Skimmer Trouble

I am having some trouble with my Vertex Omega 150 skimmer. It just keeps overflowing on me. It was in my sump in 9.5 inches of water and it was overflowing badly even with the riser tube fully open. I just raised it about 2 inches last night so it's in about 7.5 inches of water. This seemed to help a lot and with the riser tube fully open, it was still overflowing, but just barely.

This is on a new 70 gallon system that has been running for about 3-4 weeks so I realize that I don't have a ton of stuff to actually skim from the water (only have a few snails and hermits in the tank, nothing else). Any ideas? Should I try to adjust the air intake on the pump or just let it break in more?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm no expert on the vertex skimmers I have a 130 on my frag tank but haven't fired it up yet. Sounds like your biggest issue is the newness of the tank. Once you have a steady bio load going you should not have to skim as wet and therefore probably won't have as much issue with the skimmer going crazy.

also I have been told by others owning this skimmer that reducing the depth of the skimmer a bit under manufacture recommendation was helpful. Sounds like your doing everything right. Maybe run without the skimmer for a bit or just run a it few hours a day until you have a decent bio load going.

deboy69;360265 said:
New skimmers will always over skim. Let it run for a couple of days so it can break in
I understand but this skimmer has been running for a month. That's why I was wondering if I should try adjusting the pump.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TylerVT26;360268 said:
I understand but this skimmer has been running for a month. That's why I was wondering if I should try adjusting the pump.
oh yeah and that! :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would avoid adjusting the pump - once the skimmer breaks in under a load, you will see a difference. I wouldn't even necessarily run it until you have the bio load. After that, adjusting the depth some more might be in order.

szavoda;360273 said:
I would avoid adjusting the pump - once the skimmer breaks in under a load, you will see a difference. I wouldn't even necessarily run it until you have the bio load. After that, adjusting the depth some more might be in order.
That makes sense, thanks!