Skimmer

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I need to start looking for a skimmer and CANNOT break the bank. My overall water is approx. 60g. That includes the DT and sump.
I am cycling my tank now with NO life forms at all so I have not had a need for one yet.

I have heard that I need to go for double my water (ie. 120g skimmer) but what is what? Suggestions? makes? models? Thanks

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get a reef octopus nwb150. Those are $225 new and it would be sufficient for future upgrades up to a 125 gallon. If that wont fit in your sump, you could look at the nwb110 which is still more than adequate for your tank and runs $180 new with a smaller footprint.

If you need something even cheaper than that, pretty much your only bet is craigslist or the classifieds here.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
It really depends on how heavy you will stock your tank. Some manufactures, will actually give 3 ratings for the same skimmer ( i.e. 60gal heavily stocked, 80gal medium stock, and 100 gallon lightly stocked). May also depend on the type of coral you want to keep, SPS, and mixed reef, I like to feed heavy, but skim hard (big skimmer). where as if your going to have soft coral, or fish only, your preference may not be to have as pristine a water quality. We all want perfect water, but some coral don't actually prefer it. My 5gal pico has no skimmer, watchmen goby / pistol shrimp, zoas and lps. Its the tank I put struggling zoa's in to bring them back to happy.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Both that zombie recommended are good, I actually have the RO NWB 110 on one of my tanks. If you can hold out, MACNA might have some smoking deals, or people upgrading after the show. Cad Lights had some good deals at last years Reef Stock.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
FishTV;314682 said:
Both that zombie recommended are good, I actually have the RO NWB 110 on one of my tanks. If you can hold out, MACNA might have some smoking deals, or people upgrading after the show. Cad Lights had some good deals at last years Reef Stock.
Not sure I understand the jargon

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
cent36;314691 said:
Not sure I understand the jargon
RO NWB 110 = Reef Octopus NWB 110 model skimmer
MACNA = Ultimate Reef Show!!! In Denver this year, starts AUG 29th
Reef Stock = Small reef show, (compared to MACNA) but good times had by all.