So had some extra $ in my pocket when I went to Elite Today...

Ok so here's my last bitch and moan about Salinity. I should've taken video of the first two cleanings but I wasn't in a happy place at the time. First two cleanings consisted of scraping off hard crusts with a blade scraper and pad attached to extra long hemostats, rinse and repeat. Here's my third cleaning and it's looking pretty good. From the paper towel lying on top of my bin you can see the color of the toothpaste like gunk I cleaned out. The salt mix inside my bin also turned that color.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow that gross, i gget a whitefilm on my tub butt nothing like that! Im also 4 buckets in and a 5th on the way! With corlas looking good as ever!

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
I wonder if this might be a source water issue or a reaction with the mixing container?

I always had that happen with IO and Red Sea salts, but like Haddoni, all I've ever had with Salinity is a minor white dusting when using warmer water.

Nope. New filters on a RO/DI tested with 2 different TDS meters. Tank is high grade poly used by a good number of reefers. Before I used Salinity in this tank I mixed 200 gallons of IO and 160 gallons of Reef Crystals. I clean my tanks out after I use up a bucket or box of salt. With the IO and Reef Crystals I got the usual white dusting. The crud you see is just from the bucket of Salinity and that's the last bit of it after I cleaned out a bunch earlier.

I mix 25 gallons of salt at a time, adding 4 cups then I stir, 4 cups stir, repeat. I rinse and wipe out my container after I finish up a box/bucket. I think I just got stuck with a crappy bucket of salt. I've read that other people using salinity have experienced gray scum floating on their water and the same residue but grey.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
dvenson;87253 said:
could it be a reaction from the residue left over from another brand of salt and salinity
I got my trashcan when I started using salinity, I've never had the brown stuff, but the white crust is there. Think Jon said it was the calcium coming out of solution, I think

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk