So I got a question

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yesterday I picked up an old water softener brine tank to turn into a saltwater mixing station. So after mike and I got the billion pounds of salt and crud from inside it I noticed there are rust stains. Well I soaked in vinager over night tried clr and used a very abrasive scrubber Well they still won't come out. I am again soaking in vinager hoping they will come out. What happens if they don't come out. Any negative affects. Thanks for help in advance.

So I got a question

I dont think it will be a problem but im not 100% sure. I believe GFO is basically rust. Maybe a chemistry expert will chime in.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
It will destroy your life: makes your toes fall off, dinky shrink, stiffen your fingers, plug your bunghole, and cause your bottom lip to swell beyond all recognition. You'll start listening to Celine Dion, and wearing tutus everywhere you go. You'll drink nothing but Cake vodka with pink grapefruit juice, and will lose all ability to taste your food.
Just kidding, sorta. I'd use muriatic acid on it and rinse it about 10 times too many with RODI. Maybe that will take care of it.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes, we did. That's why I mentioned her.
In addition to falling in love with Celine's bobblehead, you'll develop an infatuation with Rebecca Black, and will listen to your new favorite song "Friday" on endless repeat.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those brine tanks are made of steel, correct?

If so, then +1 to etching it with muriatic acid or something similar (eg phosphoric acid). If you don't want to fill the entire tank with water+acid, you can probably fill the barrel 1/4 of the way and lay it on a side then rotate it multiple times. Once that process is done, just empty it, neutralize the acid with baking soda and water, then flush it plenty.

Someone may be better qualified to chime in on how reef safe that process might be, but considering people bathe live rock in muriatic acid, I'd imagine you'll be fine. I've used phosphoric acid to etch the inside of a 30yr old gas tank that was covered in rust and the stuff works wonders. The concrete etcher they sell at HD is fairly cheap and will remove any residual rust with ease.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;232959 said:
How toxic is that stuff. I have to do this inside.
It's highly corrosive. Ventilation may not be a HUGE concern, but any spillage would probably be unwelcome. I've used it to etch a concrete slab indoors with no ill effects, but you'll want a batch of baking soda and water on hand in case you do have any accidents inside the house.

Oh yea...wear gloves and eye protection, cover all of your skin, keep it away from pets, etc.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I got a question

So i have most of it out its two spots the size of a dime. Am i good or do i really need to do acid route. Not to keen on acid idea. To be honest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I got a question

Also it is a size issue i dont exaclty fit into this this to reach the bottom. And not having my daughter do it

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
With the acid you actually wouldn't have to reach in to scrub...just pour in a diluted mixture of acid and water and allow it to soak. You can shake/swish the tank around to help speed things up, but that's about all the manual labor you need to get the rust off when you use acid.

I definitely understand not wanting to use the acid in the house...but if you just have a couple spots on the bottom of the tank it wouldn't take much effort to clean. After the acid soak, you could actually (slowly) pour baking soda + water in there to neutralize the acid before you dump it out, that way you cut down the risk of anything corrosive spilling somewhere you don't want it.

I'd be less worried about using acid, and more worried about the rust introducing unwanted metals into your system. If you're going to use it as a mixing station, the exposure to salt and high flow could easily lead to particles getting into your tank...just my .02

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I got a question

Ok i might resort to that. Its almost clean scrub scrub scrub. I just didnt want to buy another chemical lol. Thanks for the help guys. But is it true phospate removers are make from rusted stuff

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;232981 said:
Ok i might resort to that. Its almost clean scrub scrub scrub. I just didnt want to buy another chemical lol. Thanks for the help guys. But is it true phospate removers are make from rusted stuff

Technically...from a chemistry standpoint, yes.

GFO is just ferric oxide, aka iron oxide(III), the chemical compound is represented as: Fe[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]3[/SUB] Rust is just hydrated iron oxides...so yes GFO is basically "rust". The nice thing though, is that "rust" is insoluble unless the pH dips below 6 (which probably won't happen in a reef tank), so aside from not rinsing the stuff well enough, there's a slim chance of it being introduced into the tank unwillingly.

Last edited by a moderator: