Some basics about Kalkwasser / Limewater

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is ms. wages the exact same as kalk? Meaning, do you still just add it straight out of the bag or is there an added step? Why would you use actual product labeled kalk over ms wages?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use mrs wages because its cheaper, dilute 1tbsp(right out of the bag) into 1 gallon of water.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's the same stuff. You can buy it in a can that is marketed for aquariums but you would be paying an unnecessary premium.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another silly question: why wouldn't you dose kalkwasser?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;128344 said:

Because there are other Calcium products out there, and some people don't want to take the chance with Kalk.

Kalkwasser increases alkalinity, calcium, ph and can also lower magnesium

I will definitely read through all of this. Thank you so much! Just real quick... Our kh is consistently low. Is that the same as alk?

What would be a good idea for raising kh?

Wow! Just looked at the first link with the calculator! Awesome! Thank you so much for posting!

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;128344 said:
hurrafreak;128348 said:
Because there are other Calcium products out there, and some people don't want to take the chance with Kalk.
For sure, that's a good reason for many but I think kalk is pretty safe if applied with prudence. For me, I'm just eliminating variables at this point in time. I recently switched back to SPS....I'm hoping to out-pace kalk's abilities again soon.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My question is geared not towards what else replaces kalk but why not dose kalk? Meaning, what would you see in your tanks or in your testing of your tanks that would say, oh hell, I shouldn't dose kalk? I get that you want to test before you dose but if the main benefit of kalk is to sustain calcium levels, not increase them, then why not?

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll give another crack at the question. There are a lot of ways to slice that question and a lot of right answers both for and against.

For me, due to my SPS interests, I needed something that would be able to dose more ca/alk than kalkwasser could. At that point something else would need to be done...daily ca/alk supplementation (perhaps calcium chloride/baking soda) or a calcium reactor. I used to use a calcium reactor but decided that I wanted the sump space back so I sold that and bought dosing pumps to automate the cacl2/baking soda option. Then I did the math and driveway heat + bulk baking soda ended up being, to my surprise, cheaper. I'm spending $1/month to run my current system. If I went back to kalk + my current system, I would be in the $3/month range. (What can I say? I'm cheap.) Plus, my ATO is by float valve...prone to clogging by kalkwasser PPT. It's always been pretty reliable for me but I am happy to remove the need to knock out the PPT from time to time. Also, I eliminated another variable from my system as I only have to be concerned with cacl2 and baking soda.

If I weren't interested in SPS, or I hadn't ever been in a situation of needing more than kalkwasser could supply (hence I would not already own the dosing pumps), then I would be doing a straight kalkwasser scheme right now. For most of the life of my current tank I just kept track (generally...nothing major...no graphs or pen/paper required) of how many gallons I was adding when I topped up my ATO container (20 gallons) then added enough kalk to saturate. If I tested the tank and ended up ahead of plan, I would add less kalk the next time I topped up my container. It was a pretty easy solution and sounds harder than it actually was. TBH, I didn't need to test too often as my tank seemed to be pretty happy to fly on autopilot right around the saturation point of 2 teaspoons/gallon.

HTH!

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;128382 said:
My question is geared not towards what else replaces kalk but why not dose kalk? Meaning, what would you see in your tanks or in your testing of your tanks that would say, oh hell, I shouldn't dose kalk? I get that you want to test before you dose but if the main benefit of kalk is to sustain calcium levels, not increase them, then why not?
I don't think that there, to my knowledge, is like a bad effect from dosing Kalk. I think that's what you're getting at, if it's not chemically dangerous and helps maintain than why not? Right? The key is the willingness to jump into Kalk and stick with it. From what I've heard, I don't want to take the chance on my tank, but that's not to say it will or won't work.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Two great answers. Thank you!

Mike, my apologies as your first , shorter answer, did in fact answer my question as well. I'll blame the fact that I'm at work and start a reply, then get distracted by something shiny...and the reply get delayed.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie, make sure you get an extra mj to stir your geo reactor. They get clogged up relatively quick and stop stirring. I would stay away from kalk if you need Ca and Alk supplements, but do not need/want to raise your ph.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
spstimie;128506 said:
Boogie, make sure you get an extra mj to stir your geo reactor. They get clogged up relatively quick and stop stirring. I would stay away from kalk if you need Ca and Alk supplements, but do not need/want to raise your ph.
An extra to keep on the side it to plumb in some how?

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;128508 said:
An extra to keep on the side it to plumb in some how?

No to swap it out, when one needs a vinegar bath.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lots of people do, in fact its very difficult to off set the drop in pH created by a reactor with out a stirrer, or doser of some sort.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use both. I think I read somewhere that the free ions from the reactor bond with the free ones from the kalk or something like that