Stocking ideas

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone have any good ideas on fish that would be compatible and good to add for my tank?

My tank is a 125 gallon long with 150 lbs of live rock. I have a 30 gal fuge with cheato and a 20 gal sump with a reef octopus 150 skimmer. I know that I am starting to encroach on my fish limit, but how many more do you think I can get away with? I intend on upgraging to a 300 ish tank in the next couple of years.

My current stock list
1x Mandarin dragonette
2x False perc clowns
1x Hippo tang
1x Yellow tang
1x Chalk basslet
1x Wheelers goby
1x Melanarus wrasse
1x Carpenters flasher wrasse
2x Blue green chromis
1x Skunk cleaner shrimp
1x tiger pistol shrimp
1x Coral banded shrimp
40+ types of various coral

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm a big fan of jawfish if you have a deep enough sandbed. There are a few species to choose from. I think these guys have a ton of personality. Wish I had room for one in my tank.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sandbed is about 4" deep, half sugar sand and the rest is about 2 mm grains.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Would a leopard wrasse and a flame angel work with what I've got? Of course the flame would need to be rehomed if it gets a taste for my corals.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The only thing about adding wrasses is they may compete too much with your mandarin. I would look at some sand sifting gobies or jawfish.
Be careful with planning on upgrading we all know how that can go. You buy a fish that will be too big for your current system with a plan to upgrade and then life happens!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Note on the leopards too, is they should really be added to a tank first or at least before the tangs. It could be possible to add them at this late stage but their chances of survival go down a bit. And as someone on here has put it, plan for the tank you currently have not the tank you plan on upgrading too in the future.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/hcs3/

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;309575 said:
Note on the leopards too, is they should really be added to a tank first or at least before the tangs. It could be possible to add them at this late stage but their chances of survival go down a bit. And as someone on here has put it, plan for the tank you currently have not the tank you plan on upgrading too in the future.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/hcs3/
Good point, but I wouldnt expect any agression from the tangs. They have not harassed my malanarus and that was added after both of the tangs.

One thing about dwarf angels is that if they can be completely fine one day and the next eat your acans :/ what happened to me with my Potters