Strontium

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So I am curious, I see that alot of sites that sell corals, or even blogs, particularly sps, all mention that strontium should be tested and maintained to ensure healthy sps corals but I rarely see or hear of anyone testing or dosing for strontium, why is that? Is it that our salt mixes are more then adequate or do we need to be doing more with it? What role does stront actually play in the reef anyway?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I dose a small amount of strontium every week, I have always done this since I first got in the hobby. I dont know if it does any good or not, but my corals sure dont look like they are suffering. I do not test for it, but thats just me.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya and test kits for stront are not cheap, but every where I look everything says it is important for coral health and growth, but never seen any thing else on why or how it is important. and nothing to ever justify testing or dosing for it, but was curious if anyone actually does or not

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I add it to my Calc 2 part. It may be my craziness but I notice more coaline algae when I use it.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I personally believe regular water changers with a quality salt provide all the Strontium needed. I want to say I read a study by RHF that pretty much concluded the same. Ill see if I can find it later.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ThunderTwonk;307030 said:
I personally believe regular water changers with a quality salt provide all the Strontium needed. I want to say I read a study by RHF that pretty much concluded the same. Ill see if I can find it later.
Kewl, I'd be interested in reading that. Thanks