SWC 160 skimmer

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just got one of these and it was rocking last night. This morning I turned off the return, I'm fixing the overflow, and now all it does is spew water out the top. No bubbles or anything. What gives, did I break it already?

ColoradoReef

Platinum Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor
Is the water level in your sump higher now then what it was last night?

The skimmer is effected by the depth of the water it is in.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They get un happy if a rush of water goes into the pump. Make sure the little venturi thing didn't come out the end. Unplug it and let is sit for a minute, lift it out of the water and reset it if you can.

ColoradoReef

Platinum Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor
You should shut your skimmer down if you are doing maintenance on your system.
The skimmer needs to be in the same depth of water all the time. It will overflow everytime your water is deeper the normal.

Kindafishy

Cleaner Shrimp
I've been running the SWC150 about a month and a half. I'm pretty sure these are supposed to run properly in 6"-10" of water. Prime spot being close to 8".

The only real issue I've run across is, The venturi thing in the side will suffer from salt buildup where the air and water meet, once restricted enough it'll overflow the cup. It takes a week or so to be heavily effected. So it hasn't been a big issue (just clean it out once a week). HOWEVER because these skimmers ALSO have an air adjustment on the muffler thingy, you can accidentally shut the air flow down completely and overflow the cup.

So far it's been a great skimmer other then those minor issues. Great for the price I paid!

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Took the skimmer apart today since it stopped producing bubbles. I thought the airline was pinched, so did a quick fix prior to dismantling, nope not that.
I did find this.

I minor clog in the air inlet, nothing a drill can't fix :D

Upon closer inspection to the muffler, there is water in there and what looks to be some sort of algae.
I modified some Q-tips to absorb the water, no more water in the muffler. Time to put it online again.