T5 bulb combos

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Yep that is what I am thinking. So many possible combos, I will likely order 6 bulbs and try out different combinations to see which one works best. Although also thinking that maybe I should go ahead and order a stunner strip ahead of time and then change my bulbs accordingly to go with it

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I wouldn't plan to see a much of a difference with a stunner strip on if you all t5s ripping. I can't see anything with only 2- t5s and my 48" 24 watt Stunner LED 445nm Blue.

Def a great addition for sunrise, sunsets independent pop though!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya would expect to much out of them with all lights on, but would certainly like them for that sunrise sunset time period
Was think of going to the magenta/blue combo or just the blue, havent decided yet.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Andrew_bram;293455 said:
Have you considered a DIY led strip rapid had ones you don't even have to sauder
Hadnt really thought of that, but maybe worth some research. Never built any lights or anything like that but might be fun project to learn

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
i'd run 2 or three blue plus with an actinic plus. If you do the stunner strip, or similar, i'd add a coral plus to the mix. I love the color options with t5. For 20 bucks you can totally change the look of your tank. The coral plus have a ton of blue with a lot of par. Coral plus are a nice color and par, similar to a 10k halide.

in my small tank I run 2 55w t5 pc 10k/atinic and 1 foot(6 bulbs) of Illumilux Marino Blu 50/50 Royal Blue(450nm) - Blue(470nm) 3W Cree xpe by vertex. I am sure you can DYI something equivalent but it sure does add that extra pop and my sps really love it. I heard that there are full spectrum t5's now, maybe that will help?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just got my order and tried some different combos. Here is what I tried:

Option 1:
Blue+
KZ Fiji Purple
Coral+
Blue+

Option 2:
Blue+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+

Option 3:
Blue+
KZ Fiji Purple
Blue+
Blue+

The Fiji purple really made the reds stand out, including all the cyanobacteria on my sandbed! My wife really liked the deeper blue of option 2. She prefers the almost windex look. Decided to keep her happy.
I really like the Coral+ with the Blue+ ×3 combo. Coral+ is very crisp white. No yellow tint to it at all.
If my cyano was under control, I would probably keep option 1. If I had a 5 or 6 bulb setup I would definitely throw it in the mix.

I was going to post pics of the options but my camera doesn't pick up much difference. Until I get rid of the fiji purple, anyone is welcome to come over and look at the different options.

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
My zoanthids definitely love the combo already! Full skirt extension I haven't seen for a while! And the 50% actinic in the blue+ really makes stuff fluoresce!

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;294805 said:
Remember that you just replaced bulbs. And they are ati so way more powerful watch for signs of cooking corals
Ok. Thanks! Ill cut my bright photoperiod down for a while. I'm off work this week so I'll keep a close eye on it.