Tank Electricity Cost

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I just moved out of my parents house and got to thinking about my electrical costs. Doing some researching for a 40b it seems like it's less then $50/month. However I did some calculating, and got $120/month which I know I can't afford.

If anyone can help and do this calculation for me I would really appreciate it!

Fort Collins kWh is $.09. And this is usage per day.

Wp10 - 15watts x 9 hours
LED - 100w x 9h
Sump (light) - 10w x 16h
Skimmer - 28w x 24h
RP - 40w x 24h
Heater - 200w x 6h (I think)

Also feel free to post your electricity bill so we can see the real costs of a certain size tank!

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
God, I hate to think it's costing me money to power everything.

I like to pretend my only cost is in Coral :)

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know.. no one Wants to think about it. I'm just trying to be proactive in my first apartment. I'm also not trying to be broke lol.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Doesnt seem right. Think my electric bill only went up maybe 10 a month with my 75g

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
My total electric bill for a month, for the whole house and my tank, including running AC, is only a bit over 100 a month. In an apartment I would think it would be at 30-40% lower then that

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's really good to know. I was thinking I would have to sell my tank :(.

We just run fans so hopefully it's even cheaper than that!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You did your math wrong. I got $10.87. I think you forgot to multiply by 0.09 when you got to 120. There is 120 kWh per month using your estimated loads.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Your heater is likely going to run more than that, but it is still no big deal. Here in Colorado, heating is by far the biggest expense - keeping the house warm is typically cheaper if you have big systems. Return pumps are next. Lights are a drop in the bucket no batter what anybody says.

I have a 120G (350G system) and a separate 240G with 90G sump with the works (including 6x250W halides) and the cost is a bit over a dollar a day at about $40 a month. If I let the basement get really cool in the winter, then the 2800W of heaters can use another $1-2 a day to heat the tanks since they can run almost constantly.

My hot tub will use more than a $1 a day in the wintertime... so the tanks are not much of a problem.

If you don't have one, a kill-a-watt is a eye-opening tool... and a fun thing to request for a birthday or holiday from somebody who might buy you something that sucks if you don't suggest something cool.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
DANG HOW DO YOU GUYS GET AWAY WITH SUCH LOW BILLS? i HAVE A SMALL HOUSE AND MY MONTHLY BILL IS ALWAYS OVER 200...

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My electric bill in my 2 bedroom apartment averages $200 a month and goes up to around $250 during the summer and I only run the A/C occasionally. I feel your pain Gabe.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;321879 said:
DANG HOW DO YOU GUYS GET AWAY WITH SUCH LOW BILLS? i HAVE A SMALL HOUSE AND MY MONTHLY BILL IS ALWAYS OVER 200...
I can alnost guarantee yours is so high because of poor insulation on your walls and windows since your house is pretty old. If you blow more insulation in your attic, update your windows, and seal any cracks in your mortar, your bill will be probably 50 bucjs a month cheaper.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;321880 said:
My electric bill in my 2 bedroom apartment averages $200 a month and goes up to around $250 during the summer and I only run the A/C occasionally. I feel your pain Gabe.
Why is it so expensive?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyDiv3r17;321884 said:
Why is it so expensive?
225 gallon aquarium with 3 250w metal halides and 8 t5's and a wife and 2 kids that are home all day every day plus crappy insulation.

O and because Xcel Energy runs a monopoly so what they say goes!!!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just put 1 hour twist timers on the lights in our hallways and in the kids room. They cannot wait to leave a bank of 6 lights on...during the day... when they are not around... all the time... even when they are sleeping. All of them.

Ours is not cheap at 300-400, but I knew that when I bought the house. The tank is not even close to the issue. The hot tub is probably our biggest issue (in the winter).

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 3200 sq foot home, 1600 is unfinished. I work from home, and run the AC at 78 daily. With essentially 3 tanks running, I avg $180 in the summer for my entire electric bill for family of 3.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
When we had a 700gal sys in a 2800sqft house... $600/mo. Put solar on, dropped to $300. Took system down, dropped to $120.