Tank Weight Concerns

Alright, so I went out and got a red sea reefer 425XL recently. I've now got it assembled in my second story apartment and I'm concerned about the weight once this sucker is filled. I'm not sure which way the cross beams run in my apartment. I don't think the office staff would be able to tell me this and I'm a little hesitant to ask because I don't want to send off any flags for them (they aren't opposed to fish tanks, but probably aren't fans of massive ones (though I don't really feel that one is too massive in the grand scheme)). Any ideas of how to figure this out? I'm reluctant to set it up right now because I just don't want to deal with the constant stress of worrying if I'm causing damage to my apartment, if a tank break and/or if a crash into the garage below is imminent.

Anybody able to calm my nerves here? Anybody been in similar situations?

Thanks,

Ken

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've always heard, and maybe this is an old wives tale or urban legend, but 150 gal was the max tank you'd want on an engineered floor. The 425XL looks to be 88 gallons, so I would think you are ok.

Any crawl spaces you can look at? I have no idea if there is a standard to this but my floor joists run the same direction on floor 2 (main floor) as they do on floor 3 (top floor) as seen from my attic access. Just a thought.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It varies a ton depending on where the tank is placed. A couple rules of thumb are: up to 55 gallon can go anywhere at all. 75 gallon and above must be perpendicular to floor joists and near a bearing wall. Above 180 usually requires reinforcement.

You can figure out where the beams are by knocking on the floor to find the joists or use a studfinder below in the garage. Determining if the wall below is load bearing or partition is a bit trickier, but if you place it near an exterior wall you can be assured its load bearing.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

I see this as a 112 Gallon tank when I search for the model. As long as your apartment building isn't old as dirt, make sure to place the tank on an outside wall of the apartment, and you should be fine. Just be sure to avoid windows, return vents, etc. Two things: 1. I wouldn't tell your apartment management that you have a tank of this size, even if they are not opposed to fish tanks in general, they might not be comfortable with 112 gallons above someone else's place. 2. Get renters insurance. When you buy it, confirm with the agent that things such as tank catastrophes where significant amounts of water leak into somebody else's apartment. Insurance companies are willing to do most anything to get your business, so if you pay enough for the premium, they will cover that sort of thing.

BTW, I have a 180 that is running PARALLEL with the joists in my floor (albeit, it is on an outer wall). There was simply no other place to put the tank. With rock and water and sand, I'm sure the tank is well over 1 ton. Tank has been up 9 months.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheDubbya;676967 said:
I see this as a 112 Gallon tank when I search for the model. As long as your apartment building isn't old as dirt, make sure to place the tank on an outside wall of the apartment, and you should be fine. Just be sure to avoid windows, return vents, etc. Two things: 1. I wouldn't tell your apartment management that you have a tank of this size, even if they are not opposed to fish tanks in general, they might not be comfortable with 112 gallons above someone else's place. 2. Get renters insurance. When you buy it, confirm with the agent that things such as tank catastrophes where significant amounts of water leak into somebody else's apartment. Insurance companies are willing to do most anything to get your business, so if you pay enough for the premium, they will cover that sort of thing.

BTW, I have a 180 that is running PARALLEL with the joists in my floor (albeit, it is on an outer wall). There was simply no other place to put the tank. With rock and water and sand, I'm sure the tank is well over 1 ton. Tank has been up 9 months.
Clarifying my comment. Above but not including 180 usually needs reinforcement. 210, 300, etc. need it but a 180 usually doesn't.

Also, age of apartment makes no difference and often works in your favor. 40+ years ago lumber was actually cut to 2" width not 1.5.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Assuming you have carpet you can pull the carpet back and look for the nail lines in the floor, this should expose the pattern of which way the studs run. Just be warned that the carpet may have lumps when you put it back unless you reinstall with a carpet kicker.