Teeth or no teeth

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ok building a overflow box for my new 20l tank with the dimensions of 3.5"x8". Question is should I cut teeth into the box or leave the top smooth? I plan to use a durso stand pipe with a bulk head strainer, so I am not to worried about snails and such going over the edge :)
However I have seen and have been reading about people using gutter guard as an extra precaution, any one using this technique?

Anyone have a toothless overflow box and have any thoughts on pros vs cons?

Oh and pics of your overflow would be awesome!!!

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
toothless allows some fish to flow over into your overflow box. Gutter guard stops this...

I prefer teeth...

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So I forgot to mention that this will be a frag tank with only a 6 line and maybe an algae blenny of sorts. Does this change thoughts?

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
not for me... my 6 line AND algae blenny both would flow over if I didnt keep gutter guard on my overflow...

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
I'd go for teeth. Bennies are prone to going over the overflow.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
amonchak;194439 said:
I'd go for teeth. Bennies are prone to going over the overflow.
Teeth +1000 my nano has some teeth removed and I keep losing manderins in the over flow. Then the teeth on my 300 are huge and I have to dig chromis out as well.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you look on RC, there are guys that are cutting out the teeth, then siliconing the gutter guard in. They say that it increases flow and makes the overflow quieter. I'm thinking of doing this on my 120.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I was going to say, interesting the strong opposition to no teeth. Every other thread I've seen purposing this question, the majority is stating they feel no teeth is better. Also doesn't the bean-animal over flow or coast to coast not have teeth on their designs?

Ok tons if anti-no teeth, anyone for a no teeth overflow?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the only purpose that the teeth serve is to keep fish out. The gutter guard can serve the same purpose, but flow a lot more and possibly be quieter.

It's really up to you as you're the one who's going to have to either get the fish out of the overflow, or replace them if they get stuck and die.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ok ladies, gentlemen and nutsos.....help me think "outside" the box. How about I make a a custom overflow cap like this? Would still keep critters out and yet still allow sheet flow over the edge with out creating the turbulence and reducing flow that the teeth create.

Obviously the level off the top of overflow would need to be set after water flow is running and tested. I could also drill smaller holes in the cover should there ever be any screwy event that the water rises above the lid.

Thumbnail sketch so don't mind my exact dimension and line precision :)

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very interesting. Outside the box for sure. I say do it and let us know how it turns out.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How much volume can that quarter inch handle as well as when it starts getting algae growth on it?

Sent from my C771

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's what I was thinking too... 1/4" may not flow enough. But then again, it's only a 20 gal... How much flow do you need?

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Why are you after the sheet flow? it could be a simple as increasing the # of notches or teeth slots so you can achieve the same flow. Either option is a weir caclulation to achieve the desired flow rate based on the opening size and head on the weir with either a contracted or suppressed weir in the different options.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
amonchak;194599 said:
Why are you after the sheet flow?
Lol great question Adam , as im not entirely sure. A few reasons are as follows:

1. Wanted to try something different than the the norm
2. Hate cleaning algae off the teeth on my current DT, so was thinking of a new way to eliminate the challenge of getting each tooth
3. Wanted to get as much flow from the return pump as possible so that I only need to use one power head (mp10) to get ample flow
4. Would like to have the tank as quiet as possible, and have been reading that having laminar flow vs interrupted by teeth flow results in a quieter sound
5. Challenge MASC members to think outside the box and help develop a new method of making overflows :p

But alas I might need that water brain of yours to size the area needed for flow to match the pump size.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What if you made a bubletrap with your lid and just have the teeth horizontal under the waterline so it flows through the teeth and then goes over the bubble trap in a linear flow? Hard to describe ill try to draw something up to describe it