Test kits.. which brands to choose??

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Need to order some new test kits and don't have much experience with any brands other than Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Looking for some suggestions based on your experience. AP, Red Sea, Seachem, Salifert to test for calcium, phosphate, KH/Alk, Mg. Appreciate any input.
Thanks!!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I really like Salifert since you have to titrate until you get an obvious color change. I think red sea offers basically the same system, but they do offer individual refills on reagents so you don't have to buy an entire kit everytime you run out of one piece of the kit.

For that reason, I might switch to Red Sea the next time around...but I've been really happy with Salifert.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hanna for alk and phos. Salifert for mag, cal, nitrates. That's all I test. Was messing with potassium but haven't noticed a difference to make it worth while continuing.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I started using the Red Sea Pro kits, I like them better than the Salifert I used to use. You can buy replacement reagent only, as opposed to a whole kit. Besides that I'm using Hanna for Alk and API for Ca.

The red sea pro kits are awesome. All of them from NO3 to Ca to Fe. They come with a cool little titrator that makes the titration tests go a little smoother. Plus they can be ''refilled''. As far as red sea vs. Salifert I have used both and would say the red sea NO3 and PO4 are incredibly easier to read. Past that if you have fat hands like me the little titrator that comes with the red sea kits really helped, otherwise go for it with salifert, both get the job done.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Test kits.. which brands to choose??

H2O_intolerant;218308 said:
I started using the Red Sea Pro kits, I like them better than the Salifert I used to use. You can buy replacement reagent only, as opposed to a whole kit. Besides that I'm using Hanna for Alk and API for Ca.
+1 Hannah on the alk and Red Sea is really nice. Close second IMO would be the salifert.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I ordered a Red Sea test kit based on this thread, as my API test kit is running low.

Yowza. This is a time killer? Takes a long time, lots of steps/waiting, to get test results. Am I missing something? Maybe my ADHD is too severe for these.

Whereas API you fill the test vial with water, add 1 or 2 reagents, shake/wait for 1/2 to 3 minutes...

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
With API your not getting a 100% accurate reading, only a range. If you trying to figure out dosings and such, this does not work. The Salifert and Red Sea kits are much more accurate becuase of the steps involved.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got it...thanks for the answer...maybe I'll just sell this before I crack open and start using...I probably don't need this much accuracy for my fish only system...

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Which kit did you get? How much would you sell it for?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was looking to replace my nitrates and phosphates testing, so got the Red Sea Algae Control test kit. Hm, price? Can't even remember how much I paid for it. :) Best offer I suppose.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Ahhh, I need Ca and Alk.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Test kits.. which brands to choose??

They changed their kits! It takes like 5 min to test for no3 now, frickin a cotton! I actually fell asleep waiting for it, lol. The second time around I did notice that I only had 2ppm no3, woot!

Give the tests another chance Dave, maybe drinking a beer while doing it?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
lol.

ok, i'll give them another chance.

maybe the reason i'm so impatient is because i quit drinking a few years back...discovered i'm enough of a (fill in the blank...jack-ss, -sshole, dumb-ss) when i'm sober...so anyway what to do while i wait...oh i know, i'll watch the skimmer cup fill...