1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Test Kits

Discussion in 'Tank Chemistry' started by Irishman, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Irishman

Irishman Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

Either I have been testing my water the wrong way this whole time or I got a bad test kit. I have been having issues with my zoa's and Scott was kind enough to help me out and try to trouble shoot my problem with me. I gave him my parameters and my magnesium has been way high whenever I tested it, Like 1600+ some times (RedSea). Scott said he would test my water for me as well and when he did he got mid 1400 I believe (RedSea). I'm thinking of either getting some new test from RedSea or going with someone different. What do other people use? Does anyone prefer one kit over the other for a certain test? Any bad experiences with kits?

2. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

I have always found red sea a little hard to get used to. I like saflirt for mag and Hanna for alk. Personally don't really test for anything else

3. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I use Red sea kits, but they do tend to expire and when they do they can give erratic numbers. How long you had the kit?

4. Huskyguy

Huskyguy Amphipod

+1 check the date, I had the same problem.

5. projectx

projectx Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Salifert or API for mag, Hanna for Alk and CA

6. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Hanna for alk and calc
    Salifert for mag

7. Irishman

Irishman Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

I've had them for a year. Expiration is 2/17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. pdfcrazy

pdfcrazy Copepod

Only one I hear is garbage is API. Nyos worked for me but I didnt like how hard their bottles were to dispense from. Hanna or salifert, red sea "OK".

9. chytownprincess

chytownprincess Copepod

I have only used Salifert for magnesium.

"Hmmmm, gas and car insurance, or a war paint Scoly? I am walking home with my coral! "~Tattooed Nurse

10. chytownprincess

chytownprincess Copepod

API calcium and kh are OK..the are inexpensive and have been accurate, but the other api tests are horrible

"Hmmmm, gas and car insurance, or a war paint Scoly? I am walking home with my coral! "~Tattooed Nurse