The build thread: 430gal. display

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How is the water out there? I was always surprised at how good the water here really is. My TDS was always really low. I won't be using my tap here since the remodel for a while though. A lot of new copper pipe.

I haven't tested the TDS, but I've heard people say around 35ish...at least in the city. We live outside the city, so it could be different. No copper pipes in this house, it's all CPVC.

I'd prefer not to use it, but we still don't have an RO and buying water at the grocery store got old quick. The algae from using tap isn't really THAT bad at all. Heck, my acro loves the water, it's thriving.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree. During the remodel I bought all my water for my few tanks at the LFS. That was a lot of hauling water around. Blech.

And algae is algae. It's gonna be around one way or another. I certainly dump more nutrients into my tank than I would get from the tap. I just need more herbivores (and bigger arm muscles). :)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just got some Berghia in this week. Sorry about the glass. It's just a cruddy old 10 gal. and it's had a lot of gross aiptasia insides floating around for a while.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't know what I'd teach a class on, honestly. All this stuff happens in every tank, I think.

Gale--Sure. It'll be a while, though. I bought 'em small. That guy up there is only barely at a size to deposit eggs, about 1/4". I have them set up in a little 10 gal. culture tank, though (since amphipods eat the eggs), so they'll hopefully have lots of kids.

Jason--Unfortunately not. Just aiptasia. Sorry.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jason, I had more luck just shooting some thickened up pickling lime into the majanos. Majanos don't spread like aiptasia, so once they are dead, they're dead. I actually kept my majanos alive for a long time because they had pink and purple highlights but when they started splitting, it was time for Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, I have to admit that I've always thought majanos were pretty.

Scary moment. I was using the restroom upstairs when my bride called my name. I little later, she ran upstairs, "I think one of the fish jumped." I ran down and started opening the access doors. On the last one, one of the cleaner wrasses dropped out. It had been out of the water several minutes. I dropped it in and it didn't look good. One of the shrimp even tried to start eating it. It just spawned, though. Whew.

Zooid;28541 said:
Jason, I had more luck just shooting some thickened up pickling lime into the majanos. Majanos don't spread like aiptasia, so once they are dead, they're dead. I actually kept my majanos alive for a long time because they had pink and purple highlights but when they started splitting, it was time for Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime.
I've done the pickling lime paste thing a few times and it seems like either they don't die, or the big ones die and then I find about 12 tiny new ones for every big one I killed. :( Gets frustrating.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Berghia are up to day seven (at 79 degrees F) and are really pretty cute:

The shells are quite visible, but I don't see the velar lobes yet. I don't know why it shocked me so much that their larval development is so similar to snails, but I sure didn't expect to see shells. Silly me.

While photographing the nudibranchs I decided to shoot some Columbellids that are pretty far along. I haven't taken any pictures of them in quite a while and they really are just gorgeous.

Oddly enough, it looks like one of the larva is developing without a shell:

It's in for a mighty rude awakening as soon as that egg capsule opens.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got 41 tonight, but I might have pulled the egg collector early. I usually see anywhere from 50-250. I'm just trying to get a few through to feeding so I can test a new first food, so I wasn't really looking for numbers.

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
out of a single "egg laying" of the sixlines, how many usually make it to adult or old enough to fend for themselves in captivity?