The "Can't leave well enough alone" Tank Build

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I love my 120 gallon peninsula tank. I spend a lot of time looking at it, working on it, and thinking about it. It is doing better than ever but there are a couple things I would like to change so I am going to break it down and transfer everything to a new tank. I figured I would do a build thread to document my project since I rarely take pictures of my tanks and thought this would be a fun way to be able to see how it changes over time. Here is the tank now...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/rockbrian1/P6190021_zpsbe2r3jlg.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/rockbrian1/P6190022_zpshf7vt4cm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Things to change for the new tank:
- Real Estate: With a peninsula tank, the rock work is a strip down the center so the real estate for corals is reduced compared to a standard tank against the wall. I love getting new corals and I am running out of space for new ones, plus some of the older corals are starting to cast shadows on other corals. The tank I bought will double the space for corals.
- Calcium reactor: I do the Randys 2 part plus mag with a magic marine dosing pump but am going through +/- a gallon of each per month and am tired of mixing it so frequently. The dosing pump annoyingly has to be manually turned back on after a power outage. I also am concerned about trace element consumption. My current stand doesn't allow for a calcium reactor.
- Security: I have had mishaps while out of town, ato issues, temp issues. I am adding a tank controller.
-Water Changes: My first floor bathroom always has my Brute trash can in it and the dining room table is always covered with "tank stuff". I want to reclaim these rooms for normal use and stop hauling buckets and sloping water everywhere. I am plumbing this system to the basement where I can have a dedicated sump room.
- Frags: I'm tired of seeing my frag racks in my display tank and they are magnetic and fall down from time to time which annoys me. I am going to have a dedicated frag tank in the sump room.

For the last 6 months I have been doing my homework, talking to people, and collecting all the things I will need and now it is time to begin!

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Over the last week I have been working on my new stand. I recently bought a router and have been having fun with it on this project. When done it will be black and have doors but here's where it is as of today.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks! I googled "awesome aquarium stand" and found pictures that gave me the inspiration for this one. Routers open up a whole new world of possibilities! LOL! My neighbor came by and saw it in the garage and asked "Looks nice but is it gonna fit through the door?" Scared me for a second, but it will.:thumb:

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Beautiful stand! I do feel like you get more real estate for coral placement with a peninsula tank, as you are able to put corals on both sides. Really excited to see what you do with this build!

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow, awesome man! That stand looks top notch. This looks like it will be a great build. Looking forward to seeing more.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
...and a big thanks to neil82 for helping me drink beer and assemble the stand! :very_drunk:

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Looks great so far! Are you just rebuilding or setting up a new tank?

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks for all the stand compliments!
MuralReef;354926 said:
Looks great so far! Are you just rebuilding or setting up a new tank?
Yes to both I think? I bought a new 60 x 24 x 25 planet aquariums tank from Aquatic Art to go with the new stand. The plan is to use bags of new live sand for it but transfer over the old live rock and livestock. I am going to turn my old 120 gallon tank (60 x 18 x 24) into the new sump (to replace my old 40 breeder sump). This will add water volume and give me a lot more space for my mechanicals and a larger refugium. I initially will run my frag tank off of this sump but am going to build it's stand with space to eventually run it as its own independent system.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I really liked the way the raw wood stand looked however decided to paint it black. I thought the wood was pretty dramatic looking and when its all set up, I want the marine life to be the focus. It is kind of disappointing to the carpenter in me, but I think I made the right long term choice.