the led on a budget

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I mounted the fan and the driver to the top of the heatsink so its an aio, much cleaner this way. And its ghetto mounted for now lol

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you have any red acans in there? I'd love to see if they maintain their
color with your color combination. Mine faded quickly but I'm only using blues and whites.

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah I actully have some red ultras ill let you know

And I. Will continue to update the build half to make it clear as possible

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So are the leds brighter then the MH and the t5's combined.

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah significantly brighter lol . I sat and messed with it to try and make them the same brightness ,the led's are as bright as the halide with t5s at about 60% . I think I'm gonna leave it like this for awhile to really see what is better

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
deadrock;148413 said:
Now I have observed the the biggist down fall of led's is that people think cw and rb hold a wide enough spectrum to sustain life
Deep water corals respond better to blue. Shallow water corals respond better to white (which is actually full spectrum). See here for more: http://jeb.biologists.org/content/213/23/4084.full.pdf .

My SPS went bonkers under a mix of cool white, blue and royal blue. I saw a sudden surge of growth and coloration I never experienced with any halides. The turquoise and violet might be a good addition, considering the coral photosynthetic response curve below. The only concern with red LEDs is that any micro or macro algae will benefit.

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is actully very simalar to a graph I found awhile back , I want to put a graph of my own together of the spectrum my led's are putting out but my phones not that smart lol