Thinking about getting wet again

Its been a few years since I parted out my little frag tank. I've been thinking about starting up again. Big tanks just aren't in my budget so I've got to keep it 55g or less. I kept a bunch of equipment.....PC lights, a small MH, HOB refugium, assorted pumps and timers. With the gear I kept, it wouldnt be that hard to get a tank going.

I like indoor house plants too. I always kinda looked at reef tanks as an indoor water garden. My wife says my 'wet thumb' is showing again.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome: you could combine the two and do a saltwater planted tank

Only took me 2 years ........

I bought a 65g tank yesterday. It's a brand new Aqueon tank, but has a scuff on the upper plastic rim. Scratch-n-Dent? Shipping damage? The seller only wanted $25, so I bought it.

I'm stll not sure if I'm going to do this (reefing) again. It's a big committment. It's not like a plant, where you can water it and then go on vacation for a week. They're live animals and need daily care.

I've had 3 lower back surgeries. There are 13 assorted bolts and rods in my lumbar spine region. Lugging buckets of water around is not my idea of a fun time, so automatic water changes are a must if I want to participate in this hobby again. One of my goals with the last tank was complete automation. I never finished the automatic water change system, but I did design and build a completely automated top-off system that relied on 12V float switches, a power supply and some relays.

I'll need rock - will buy dry rock and cure myself, as I've never been a fan of buying live rock and dealing with the pests that can come with it. I know it takes longer, but I'm extremely patient. No hurry.
I'll need a new RO/DI unit.
I kept most of my other equipment - CFL's, halides, T5's, return pumps, powerheads, skimmer.

I just went back and read my first post in this thread. I've been busy! I left my wife in October 2014, and divorced her. Found a really nice woman in Colorado Springs about 5 months later. Traveled to the Springs to see her, every weekend for over a year. I moved in with her in November 2016. Now I live in Falcon, CO.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Rcpilot;n664418 said:
One of my goals with the last tank was complete automation. I never finished the automatic water change system, but I did design and build a completely automated top-off system
Maybe you should look into the Neptune Apex and then get one of their Dos units for the Auto water changes. Their stepper motors have a long life span (5000 hours), and they give you pretty clear instructions on how to set it up on their website:

With your back issues it may be the one of the easier ways to accomplish automatic water changes.

I checked Bulk Reef Supppy for the Neptune. I need to spend some time and research all the features and functions. I've never used a reef controller, so not willing to shell out the $800 unless I know it will do what I need.
I'm not against it. I sincerely appreciate the suggestion. Just can't commit until I do more research.
My girlfriend asked if I can build something similar for less. I can, but it won't be wrapped in a fancy case and it won't have an LED display. She pointed out the fun in designing and building it myself. She's right. I'm a "tinkerer".

The problem with building it myself.... I can't make an app that lets me monitor my reef from a smartphone. THAT is probably worth the $800, by itself.

I have time. Gotta start reading.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If time is not a pressing matter, keep an eye on the forums and CL. I see Apex's come and go frequently, both as individual units and as pieces included in tank part outs (ask if seller is willing to part out the Apex from the rest). I haven't been totally watching the prices, but seems like I see them around the $400 mark.

When I re-read your original post I had no doubt you could (or probably were) making your own controlled system. Then I felt bad for suggesting he Apex. But like RJ said the Apex has saved me via text, email, and audible alarm numerous times. Once you get the coding part down you can easily add layers of redundancy until your heart is content. In that aspect there is still a fair amount of tinkering with an off the shelf system. When you said auto water changes I immediately thought of the Dos unit since it is one of the widest known uses for it (besides dosing obviously).

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Like Chris said watch the forum and CL. I just grabbed one up with their EB8 power strip for $200. Patience is key but be ready to move when you see one!

TheRealChrisBrown;n664564 said:
If time is not a pressing matter, keep an eye on the forums and CL. I see Apex's come and go frequently, both as individual units and as pieces included in tank part outs (ask if seller is willing to part out the Apex from the rest). I haven't been totally watching the prices, but seems like I see them around the $400 mark.

When I re-read your original post I had no doubt you could (or probably were) making your own controlled system. Then I felt bad for suggesting he Apex. But like RJ said the Apex has saved me via text, email, and audible alarm numerous times. Once you get the coding part down you can easily add layers of redundancy until your heart is content. In that aspect there is still a fair amount of tinkering with an off the shelf system. When you said auto water changes I immediately thought of the Dos unit since it is one of the widest known uses for it (besides dosing obviously).
I'm definitely a deal hound, so will start watching for a used Apex.

Hey, don't feel bad for making suggestions. I'm happy to have the input. I have considered a reef controller in the past, but never had the funds. New life, new job, better salary.... so it's a definite consideration. I'm admittedly ignorant of their functions, so there's much reading in my future.

I did start looking at the Apex on the BRS site. I'm not sure of the DOS pumps/systems. Those reservoirs look tiny. I was thinking more like 20-30 gallon reservoir of pre-mixed saltwater and a 40-50 gallon reservoir of RO. Maybe the DOS system can be adapted? Maybe I don't understand how the DOS system works?

My ideal setup:
10g tank or plastic RO reservoir for top off water. That's automated and keeps the sump at the correct level.

20-30g saltwater reservoir
20-50g RO storage

Lawn sprinkler timer to run the sequences for shutdown, drain, and fill when I need a water change. Of course, if I just had the tank and pumps all hooked into the plumbing, I could open/close valves manually, and turn pumps on/off manually... but where's the fun in that?

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Rcpilot;664594 said:
I'm definitely a deal hound, so will start watching for a used Apex.

Hey, don't feel bad for making suggestions. I'm happy to have the input. I have considered a reef controller in the past, but never had the funds. New life, new job, better salary.... so it's a definite consideration. I'm admittedly ignorant of their functions, so there's much reading in my future.

I did start looking at the Apex on the BRS site. I'm not sure of the DOS pumps/systems. Those reservoirs look tiny. I was thinking more like 20-30 gallon reservoir of pre-mixed saltwater and a 40-50 gallon reservoir of RO. Maybe the DOS system can be adapted? Maybe I don't understand how the DOS system works?

My ideal setup:
10g tank or plastic RO reservoir for top off water. That's automated and keeps the sump at the correct level.

20-30g saltwater reservoir
20-50g RO storage

Lawn sprinkler timer to run the sequences for shutdown, drain, and fill when I need a water change. Of course, if I just had the tank and pumps all hooked into the plumbing, I could open/close valves manually, and turn pumps on/off manually... but where's the fun in that?

Dos is really just a dual pump, you can use their fancy containers if you want but not necessary. I use mine for my kalk. Pulling from a 20 gallon long.

Well, no turning back now. I bought a 75g with stand last weekend.
Now I've got 2 decent sized tanks. Just need to come up with a few 20-40g tanks to use as sumps and top off reservoirs.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio