thinking of buying aquamart need your opinions

chris 67

Cleaner Shrimp
so my family is thinking of buying aquamart and need your opinions on what you would like to see different or something that you would like to see in there..... i also know that alot of the stuff they had was WAY overpriced so that will change :D

also a new fish system/coral system

and possibly a 1200 gallon show tank:rolleyes:

thanks,
chris

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
why waste your money ...they seem overpriced for what they are selling and their name isnt worth much
JMO ...but if you want to know what makes a good LFS check out elite reef you be hard pressed to compete with those guys ...might talk to them about franchising ...lol

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
That would be awsome chris...i miss seeing your mug around there anyways. If you do buy it and need some help let me know...I wouldnt mind volunteering some time to get it back to the good ole days.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;110974 said:
why waste your money ...they seem overpriced for what they are selling and their name isnt worth much
JMO ...but if you want to know what makes a good LFS check out elite reef you be hard pressed to compete with those guys ...might talk to them about franchising ...lol
Aquamart was the elite reef back in its hey day. Prices were amazing, selection was the best you could find, and the staff was very knowledgable. I remember going there for meetings and being blown away.

chris 67

Cleaner Shrimp
Heffe01;110977 said:
Aquamart was the elite reef back in its hey day. Prices were amazing, selection was the best you could find, and the staff was very knowledgable. I remember going there for meetings and being blown away.

that's what im aiming for:)

chris 67

Cleaner Shrimp
i wish they never laid him off or what ever they did
he was very knowledgeable and friendly with out him i wouldent have found this form

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah he was a great guy. Thats the kind of employees you need. The store could be amazing once again with the right owners. Think they just had to much other stuff going on i.e. other buisnesses and stuff. That place needs dedicated owners.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
Heffe01;110976 said:
That would be awsome chris...i miss seeing your mug around there anyways. If you do buy it and need some help let me know...I wouldnt mind volunteering some time to get it back to the good ole days.
ya your thinking of katyttt(chris) ...chris67 you might want to have you dad contact him and get his opinion spstimie also worked there a while ago there and im sure has some input on the store as well

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will work there part-time for you guys while I go to school. I'm pretty cool...

chris 67

Cleaner Shrimp
KhensuRa;110987 said:
I will work there part-time for you guys while I go to school. I'm pretty cool...
OK!!!!!!!!! you can do the water changes on the 1200 show display lol (if we get it) :cool:

only 120 gallons a week

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I think that you should have a complete business plan and compare the cost of starting a new store vs buying the exisiting store. I would think that with the size of that store the rent may be cost prohibitive.

Aquamart was the best store I have ever seen in Denver when Dave first opened it. Bill was great as was Katytt and spstimie.

Aquamart is in a good location and had great frags, corals, a great inventory of hard goods and above all, quarantined fish! That was the main reason I liked to go there (and spend a huge amount of money). The prices weren't amazing but they were FAIR!

If your intention is to return it to its former glory with reasonable prices, large selection of livestock so it is fun to visit, QUARANTINED FISH, knowledgeable and friendly staff, a great selection of hard goods for those 'emergencies' and you actually CARE about the success of the customers, then by all means buy it! Owning one's own business is hard work but if you enter it with your eyes wide open and your expectations are realistic, you will do fine!

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd love to see someone re-grow that place. It use to have great deals on coral packages. One thing it lacked was customer service. I go to a LFS looking to gain advise and not feel like my a mature knowledge is menial. I often left there feeling like I got lectured instead of advised. Plus when asking for anything special it was always no. Good customer service my man, people pay extra for it.

adoucette

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I stopped buying coral from there when there seemed to be more aiptasia then coral. Keep it clean with good prices and a good selection. As well get a staff that is knowledgeable and helpful and you will get plenty of business.

IMO the Aquamart name is worth very little. In all honesty few names are. Look at what elite reef did and they started with nothing. Plus I don't think Aquamart is a good location nor size for a reef store. Remember we live in a new age of everything being one click away. Thus, huge stores with huge inventories are a tough route to go for a family business. Sadly over the last few years Aquamart in my mind has created a negative connotation to their name that you may not easily shake. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pisces II;110996 said:
I think that you should have a complete business plan and compare the cost of starting a new store vs buying the exisiting store. I would think that with the size of that store the rent may be cost prohibitive.
Another thing to get a feel for, is their rep. All but one person said anything positive. You're also buying that, it may to worthwhile to change the name also. Either way, I hope it works out for you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk