To Sweep or Not to Sweep?!?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep I have the originals and love em! I love em so much I'm going to put two of the 1" units on my 200 sps tank as well. Feel free to come check mine out. My buddy used the sea sweeps for years until he got out and always swore by them. They are kind old school but they work extremely well.

fantastic customer service as well.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I trying to decide to get on and use the wp25 with it. I think with the sweeping motion and the random wave making from a wp25 would be awesome for a reef tank!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The main reason I went with the ones I did was due to having lots of nems in a smaller tank. I didn't want any power heads heads in there. Obviously this would not be a factor for you since you are looking at the unit that has a power head hanging off it.

The best advantage I see you getting from this is the really random flow and it does a nice job of taking care of any dead spots. The down sides to consider. Flow is so random I have found it difficult to get the ones I have set so that there isn't at least one or two spots where it blows the sand around. I suspect with the sea sweep that would be an even bigger problem.

Next big downside to consider. Snails love to catch a ride on the rotating head for some reason. If you have a large turbo or other snail large enough that somehow gets itself wedged between the head and the tank and the motor can't make it full sweep from one side to the other you run a good chance of burning up the motor. For this reason I positioned mine so it would take a snail the size of a tennis ball for that to happen. This isn't a huge problem it's just something to take into consideration when deciding placement. This is usually a problem when it's mounted in a corner or right up next to the over flow.

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
MuralReef;290242 said:
I think you should duct tape a power head to a piece of PVC and stand near your tank turning it back and forth and if you like it buy one.
lol

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
To Sweep or Not to Sweep?!?

Check out the article I just posted in general reef keeping from advanced aquarist. If you watch the first video around the 3 minute mark you will see something similar in action.

Last edited by a moderator:

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think like the apex controler, the swirls are worth every penny. I don't have them, but they're on my list to buy this Nov during black friday. You hear nothing but great things about them. and can attach your tunze's to them and see it rotate and pulse...

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
DyM;293692 said:
I think like the apex controler, the swirls are worth every penny. I don't have them, but they're on my list to buy this Nov during black friday. You hear nothing but great things about them. and can attach your tunze's to them and see it rotate and pulse...
Agreed. I here nothing but good on the swirl and have been thinking of doing one of them. However I really curious about the "Sea Sweeps"!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
very kewl

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is awesome. Improvement to both the jebao and the sea swirl at the same time. Ingenious.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I found this video a few months ago when I was trying to decide if I wanted to buy the sea sweep.

I have since bought all the necessary components to build my own sweep. However that is as far as I have gotten on the project. So I will keep you posted.