tomtom's 20L build

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
After settling in following the move out here from DC, I'm finally getting a tank up and running. The tank will be a 20L, thank you Petco $1/gallon, with a custom built LED fixture. A lot of the parts are left over from when I took down my 40B back east so luckily I don't have a ton of stuff to get. The overall plan is a 20L, LEDs, ~20-30lbs Fiji Pink sand, ~15-25lbs Marco's rock, modified HOB filter turned mini fuge/sump, biopellet reactor, newly purchased MP-10, maybe another koralia if necessary, a Bubble Magus dosing pump when the time comes, and everything controlled by a RKL. I think the only things left to get are some replacement RO/DI filters so I can get some water going. Here are some pics!

View attachment 21278 View attachment 21279 View attachment 21280 View attachment 21281

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Everything is all plugged in, rocks are scaped and RO/DI replacement filters are on their way. They should be in on Tuesday and hopefully this guy will be fully up and running by the end of the week!

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank is all full of water and pretty much cycled already. I used some starter bacteria from Continuum and pre-established live rock. Had a very brief ammonia spike which is now all gone and no detectable traces of nitrites or nitrates!

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where did you get that metal piece to hang your lights?

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
tomtom's 20L build

Added the first fish yesterday and they are already going to town on some frozen brine and mysis.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Been awhile since I updated this thread. Had a little heater problem awhile back. Luckily it just wasn't kicking in and I was able to replace it. Tank dropped a few degrees but nothing major and I didn't lose anything. Added one more fish that I picked up from Aquatic Art, a midas blenny. I love these guys! Had one in my last tank but sadly lost it to a pair of mean tomato clowns. Replaced the Tom's Aqualifter pump I was using for an ATO with a BRS 50ml/day dosing pump. The little aqualifter just wasn't cutting it against the head pressure. Now for some pics!

[attachment=68478:name]

[attachment=68479:name]

[attachment=68480:name]

[attachment=68481:name]

[attachment=68482:name]

[attachment=68483:name]

[attachment=68484:name]

[attachment=68485:name]

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;339835 said:
The fathead dendro is really nice. How many heads did you start with? How often and what do you feed them?
I started off with a single head about 4yrs ago and it has since grown to about 16 or so including all the little babies. I target feed it everyday and try to hit every head a mixture of mysis, brine, clam, and squid. I bet there would be more heads on it but in that 4yrs I think I've moved with it 4 times including a trip from MO to VA and a move out to here from VA. Definitely my favorite coral!

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well a lot has happened since last posting in here, bought a house being the major one. Moved the tank out of the apt and over to the new place and of course had a mini cycle and mild cyano outbreak which is subsiding now. Picked up a nice squamosa from AA and am anxiously awaiting the black sun coral that my wife is bringing home from the Springs for me today! Here are a few pics!

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Geeze, I really need to start updating this thread more but I guess buying a house and having a baby is a little more higher priority :)! So, as far as the 20L goes, upgraded the RKL to an Apex when one of my RKL light modules went out and made my tank look like it was possessed. Everything was flashing on and off like crazy! I also added a new Reef Octopus HOB BH-1000 skimmer because I feed pretty heavily and was getting some nice algae blooms. The skimmer is overkill but I wanted something that was a HOB with the pump mounted externally and not in the tank. I also had a major alk drop when my dosing container ran out and I didn't notice. It sadly damaged a lot of my SPS and some of my other coral but most everything has bounced back. Big thanks to Muralreef and SynDen for most of the SPS in my tank.

FTS

This little guy came from a pocillopora polyp that bailed out. I've already found a few others like thin elsewhere in my tank as well. Easiest propagation of an SPS I've ever had.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I recognized them right away. I am glad they are working out for you. Funny thing is for some reason most of mine have melted recently even though the rest of my SPS is doing great.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;645137 said:
I recognized them right away. I am glad they are working out for you. Funny thing is for some reason most of mine have melted recently even though the rest of my SPS is doing great.
Well if you need a frag of them, I'll gladly clip you off a piece and return the favor.