True perculas and onix clown fish difference

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so I was wondering what's the difference between true percula and onix I know they are both perculas but how can you tell which one is which ??

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
True percula is the common name for your standard amphiprion percula clownfish as opposed to amphiprion Ocellaris. Those are two common clowns that have been selectively bred to create certain "designer" strains. Many of the names can be specific to the breeder. Check out some of the big breeders' websites to see some of the varieties available. Some of the big ones are:
Oceans, reefs, & aquariums
Sustainable aquatics
Sea & reef

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;309858 said:
True percula is the common name for your standard amphiprion percula clownfish as opposed to amphiprion Ocellaris. Those are two common clowns that have been selectively bred to create certain "designer" strains. Many of the names can be specific to the breeder. Check out some of the big breeders' websites to see some of the varieties available. Some of the big ones are:
Oceans, reefs, & aquariums
Sustainable aquatics
Sea & reef
Thanks !

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No prob. I got an awesome pair of snowflake clowns from Nick Ambrosio. I think he is about to do another order of clowns. Check with him if you are looking to buy some. Good prices too.

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;309870 said:
No prob. I got an awesome pair of snowflake clowns from Nick Ambrosio. I think he is about to do another order of clowns. Check with him if you are looking to buy some. Good prices too.
thanks but I'm not looking for a clown fish i was just wondering what was the difference, i just got one yesterday labeled as a regular ocelaris but I'm pretty sure he is either percula or an onix that's why i was asking , lol