Updated mini ATS light

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So ive been running an ATS on my JBJ 28g and have been really happy with the results but I have been using a nano glo light and the spectrum isn't great for growing the algae. So I built my own using 4 660nm and 1 455nm LEDs. I just need to finish the hanging braket and it wil be ready to go. It will Be very interesting to see how much better it works.

Old

New

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got everything including the heatsink and power supply from ledgroupbuy.com. Because its only 5 LEDs and the required voltage was only 12v I didnt need a driver. I just used a 500ma 12v pc fan power adapter for $10.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Red light is what the green algae uses to grow. Just like regular green plants.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is this going over the top of the tank to grow corals or is it meant to grow algae in a fuge??

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ATS, Algae Turf Scrubber.

It's meant to grow algae. There are a growing number of people who use these instead of skimmers and seem to get identical to better results. You just have to size it right b

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;201681 said:
I see, how did you mount the acrylic/glass?
Since this will obviously be up against the glass on the back of the tank and potentially get wet I wanted to enclose the leds, wires, and what not. I needed some sort of standoff so that a thin piece of acrylic could clear the LEDS and seal them in. They actually stood allot higher than I imagined with the lenses they had. I was going to cut out an acrylic frame and screw it to the face of the heat sink then glue the cover piece over it but I didn't have the acrylic for the standoff and didn't feel like hassling with it. Plus I was worried that the acrylic stand off would let light shine up the back of my tank and be a little annoying. It only occurred to me after the fact that I actually did have some black acrylic and that wouldnt have been an issue. (DUH).

So anyway to answer your question I mounted the acrylic (which is actually a protective lens for a welding helmet LOL) with some 3/16 rubber gasket that I cut to fit and 3M windshield and molding tape. Ive used this tape before and it holds like no other. In fact you'll pretty much destroy anything its stuck to trying to get it off.

I was trying to be quick and dirty with this thing so there are probably a million better ways of doing it.

cdrewferd;201695 said:
ATS, Algae Turf Scrubber.

It's meant to grow algae. There are a growing number of people who use these instead of skimmers and seem to get identical to better results. You just have to size it right

Drew
Yep, Ive come across some pretty awesome ones lately. I would still use a skimmer if i could but not having a sump and feeling like all the nano skimmers small enough to fit in the back chanmber don't work for crap this seems to have been the best thing for this tank. Here is what I was producing before with the nano glow using warm white 1W leds. At first I was harvesting about this much algae every 10 -15 days then it seemed to really slow down. I'm really hoping that this works so well I can stop running GFO which I believe might be part of why I cant seem to get the really vibrant colors in my corals, too much GFO for such a little tank.

I should be getting something more like this with the new light.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can't wait. Still considering putting one of these on the 120 even though it'll only be FOWLR. If I don't do it now, chances are I won't want to go back and do it later.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
reefmaster719;201700 said:
Wow... Good idea. Simple to build?
yeah I think its simple. There are a 101 ways to do it. there are upflow scrubber like I'm using where bubbles are passed across the surface of the screen and there are the waterfall type that sit outside the water and water cascades down the screen. People have come up will are sorts of methods for doing both types. There is a thread here started by Santamonica that pertains to the upflow method for very small tanks.

Up flow method is pretty awesome glad to see yours is working. Might steal your red led set up for a tube variant I'm playing with on a nano.

Didn't realize drivers aren't needed for that small of a set up.

How much did the kit run you?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think with tax and shipping it was around $50 but I didnt shop it around at all. I still thought that was pretty good considering that nano glo was $70-80 and is going to be half as good.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So its been about 3 weeks with this new ATS. Let me just say its rocking big time. I harvested the algae last night a little less than softball mound. The strange color is no doubt due to the lotion that I was so lucky to have dummped into my tank over thanks giving.

This next go around I have pulled all GFO so it will be real interesting to see what it does without any other form of PO4 transport.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wonder if this helped filter out the lotion? Looks pretty good though.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;208342 said:
Wonder if this helped filter out the lotion? Looks pretty good though.
I highly doubt it. At least not to any level that was very beneficial. I believe the copious amount of carbon and multiple water changes is what got rid of the lotion contaminants. It looks to me like the lotion was killing the algae growing on the screen which it why its brown and without that lush green color.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I have decided to use a ATS on my tank, was not sure of the results, but this thread has me sold, no to figure out how to build one big enough for the 180! LOL