Urchin + acrylic tank???

I have had my electric urchin in my glass tank for over 8 months and I love the colors. I am switching to acrylic tank and I am not sure if I can keep it???
Any of you guys had any experience with this? If I keep feeding it almost every day, will it still scratch the tank..

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
have heard and seen the effects of this. This is usually only true of larger urchins being able to scratch the acrylic or allowing algae to build up on the acrylic and letting the urchin sit there and eat and scrape away. I forget if the electrics are a part of the species that will scratch, i know black long spines do scratch...

In a way I am willing to take the chance and on the other hand I don't want to screw up a brand new tank??
How about if I keep the acrylic algea free by cleaning it every day, will that work?

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
Huskyguy;304416 said:
In a way I am willing to take the chance and on the other hand I don't want to screw up a brand new tank??
How about if I keep the acrylic algea free by cleaning it every day, will that work?
i knocked my pincushion off the front enough now to where it'll hit both sides and the back but ill never see it on the front. could be cuz the front is algae free... but even where there is build up... it won't go on the glass

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've wondered about this myself. I have a long spined red urchin in my sump. It's acrylic. I haven't noticed that it scratched anything. What I wonder is you would need to put at least some pressure from the spines on the acrylic. How much do they put per spine? Really enough to cause noticeable scratches? I've never tried it so someone that has should probably chime in but unless it was a really big one where it could get some torque to really dig in I don't think that they could really do much... And they don't use them that way so.... MTC.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I would think scratching would be pretty minimal. Whenever you touch and urchin spines they tend to break very easy under any sort of pressure