1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Uronema in Blue/Green Chromis

Discussion in 'Expert Info' started by Texco, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Texco

Texco Copepod

I have kept two before, and both did from Uronema. With a completely different reef set up in which everything has been rigorously quarantined, treated, and monitored prior to introduction, I am very wary of adding them again because of their succeptibility. My current quarantine procedure has been pimaxfix, melafix, and cupramine, none of which I am confident in treating Uronema.

As far as preventitive treatment of Uronema, what medications are suggested during their stay in the quarantine tank? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Rigo07 likes this.
  2. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Chloroquine phosphate is best treatment according to Bob Fenner

3. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

4. Texco

Texco Copepod

Thanks guys, was looking if anyone had specific first hand experience with Uronema, but will give the chloroquine a shot.

5. Texco

Texco Copepod

At the halway point on chloroquine of two weeks, and 2 of 3 chromis have died in the last two days. Water is testing within parameters, lots of surface agitation. Not sure what cause of death could be.

6. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

What brand at you using?

7. Texco

Texco Copepod

I got this on ebay, no access to a veterinarian...

8. Texco

Texco Copepod

Also I work from my office at home, so I monitor them almost constantly and feed multiple times a day from a diverse range of cyclops, baby brine, mysis, I.O. flake, or rotifer.

9. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Ebay stuff is questionable at best

Balz3352 likes this.
  10. katyttt

katyttt Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Also have to be careful of Ammonia spikes with many of the medications.

Texco likes this.
  11. Mike_Tucc

Mike_Tucc Registered Users

I've had some luck using Nitrofurazone to treat chromis (blue and green). You have to catch it fairly early on though.

12. Texco

Texco Copepod

Any recommendations for where to purchase some? I stopped the chloroquine on the one chromis that is still alive and have just been doing prazipro the last week. He is at least swimming and eating now but still looks awful

13. Legonch

Legonch Freak Nasty Funk M.A.S.C Club Member

I've done two rounds of chloroquine phosphate now. Each had a couple deaths. Both times a fish died were right after a water change and adding new cp. I attribute this to me not mixing the new cp completely and adding it to fast. Other than that I've had three out of five chromis make it through 30 days of cp and 7 days of prazi. I do use human grade prescription cp however

Texco likes this.