Vortech mp40wes

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just wanted to put in my 2 cents on these overpriced pumps.

Things I like:
1. The smaller foot print in the tank
2. No cords in the tank

Things I don't like:
1. The price, way overpriced for the quality of equipment
2. Noisy as all get out. I have a surround system in my man cave, tank is behind me, could still hear the pumps roaring during the games tonight.(and yes they are aligned properly and there are no air bubbles in them)
3. I don't feel the water movement is really that much greater than my tunze 6095. I am sad I sold them now.
4. All the fancy modes really didn't wow me. I want a wave, couldn't even simulate one in my tank.
5. Don't like they just shoot straight. I like to be able to have the ability to put a pump in any direction.
6. Did I mention they are really really noisy?

Overall I would not recommend this pump to anyone.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
The mp40s were loud? I do feel yours are defective, I had the older style and there were quieter than mag drive pumps. Don't get me started on mp10s though, if I didn't pay so much I'd throw it out the window.

If you feel the need to sell them, I'm all ears though :)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have wanted to check out your legendary tank for quite a while, I'll def setup a time.

Until then, I'll pm you a link. It may fix the issue, it may not. Either way, there is no reason why you shouldn't be 100% happy with a $450+ pump.

i picked up an mp40 for my mom and i did notice that it was quite a bit noisier than my tunze 6105 and I have 2 of them. It was kind of a higher pitch hum which chimes in esp. when it is going full boar. The tunze make noise but it is steady, the mp40 when it ramps up and down you can hear it. I was kind of annoyed too.

I have two mp40 on my 75 about 50% power on both and I can't hear mine they are quite I've also had mine for over a year or so since they first came out. Maybe mine have just worn in or something.

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's exactly it, 50% power. Try running them at 100%. These are $450 pumps and they are poorly built. After some research and help from RP it looks like the bearings are already going out. What a joke.

Yea that is probably why but I tend to buy things bigger than I need so I don't have to run them at full power all the time. I'm happy with mine never had any problems with it lol.

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
See to me it makes no sense to buy a product and not be able to run it at full power without adverse side effects. Especially for a $450 pump.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Agree about the price, but assumed that was because they do anything you want (through various wave modes), synching with the others in your tank, and they were the "Cadillac" of powerheads, longevity and quality-wise. Didn't realize that meant the "80's Cadillacs", doh!

It's hard to resist no wires inside tank and no footprint, plus most everyone raves about them, but the price is what keeps me at bay. Paying as much as a decent LED for ONE powerhead seems like crazy-talk, unless you're a dot-com millionaire, LOL.

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;190550 said:
I have wanted to check out your legendary tank for quite a while, I'll def setup a time.

Until then, I'll pm you a link. It may fix the issue, it may not. Either way, there is no reason why you shouldn't be 100% happy with a $450+ pump.
yep lmk when you wanna swing by. fired up the reeflo today and it is sweeeeetttttt!

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghosty;190607 said:
Agree about the price, but assumed that was because they do anything you want (through various wave modes), synching with the others in your tank, and they were the "Cadillac" of powerheads, longevity and quality-wise. Didn't realize that meant the "80's Cadillacs", doh!

It's hard to resist no wires inside tank and no footprint, plus most everyone raves about them, but the price is what keeps me at bay. Paying as much as a decent LED for ONE powerhead seems like crazy-talk, unless you're a dot-com millionaire, LOL.
Yep you just summed it all up. You get a +1 for an excellent summary. I would of added the are noisy and need replacement bearings too. haha

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
(no personal experience)

For a big purchase ($800+), you should just read around the bigger national reef forums first, Vortechs are considered the best. It seems most people say the noise is fine, especially the more recent years of manufacturer date. 280g-reefman might just have bad luck. After all the threads I've read, the older ones are the ones people keeping on having to send back to Ecotech, but the customer service is great and they always fix/replace them. The newer ones seem to have less frequency of issues and work great. I've only heard good things about their repair service and communication, which is worth a lot.

And of course they have that design patent on the magnetic coupling so you can't find another head with that streamlined design and outside wiring. Dunno when that thing expires so competitors can bring pricing down?...

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I love mine! Far more power full than standard power heads and there are no other power heads that come in and out of full power slowly and creates a smooth wave that does not act violent.

My opinion

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So after speaking with customer service I am out of luck. I could pay $200 to have them fix the dryside or I could simply buy some new 6095. hmmmmmmmmmmm. Just fair warning to anyone considering buying a used pump out of warranty.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That really sucks man. There is a post on Reef Central where a guy replaced the bearings on the dry side. Less than $15 bucks and he said it ran like new and was completely quiet. Let me see if I can find it.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
hmm, I'll have to look harder. Maybe they deleted it as it showed how to do yourself what Ecotech wants $200 for.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member