Want to build a fug for my BC

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just like the title says I want to build fug for my BC 29. Just not sure how the best way to go about it, seeing my tank is up and running.

What do you guys think is the best way to get this done? Should I try to drill the tank with water in it? Or should I run a over flow. Any and all help would rock.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can modify the back to make the center chamber a fuge if its one of the older styles. Thats what i did to mine. And then just order a small submersible light from intank.com.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Heffe01;87602 said:
You can modify the back to make the center chamber a fuge if its one of the older styles. Thats what i did to mine. And then just order a small submersible light from intank.com.
Yeah I have already done that and it works great, just wanted to go a step further.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wouldn't drill it without draining it. The reason for that is because you need to be able to make a puddle of water to keep the glass and bit cool. The best way to do this is set the tank on it's front. Another reason to drain the tank is so you can remove the rear built-in filter section since you won't need it anymore. However, it is possible to drill it when it is full by using a roto-zip bit and draining the filter section, but there would be a very good likelihood that you would crack the tank. You need to drain and dry the filter section, so glass doesn't make it into the display.

There are some overflow box posts on Nano-Reef.com that show overflow designs. Try this one:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206965

David

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;87542 said:
Crustytheclown did an overflow one. My best advice is to head over to nano-reef and see what they do

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I just used a 3gal pico for a fuge for my 14gal bc. I didtnt drill or put in an overflow. I just used a siphon pvc to the fuge and a small return back. Its a little risky because sometimes snails crawl over the ends of the siphon tube, but ive dialed it in so that if the siphon breaks the pump will only put back a little water into the display as to not cause a flood. Than the only thing that could go wrong is the cheap pump would run dry. Than also if the pump dies, ive positioned the end of the siphon tube thats in the back of the bc, ( last - 3rd chamber) just under the waterline. So that if the water in the two tanks tries to level out, it wont flood the fuge and the dt tank level wont drop to an undesirable level. Ill post some pics.
Refugium

Its been running steady for a couple months with no problems :)
I had bought a pico that i started up for another tank, than realized wait! I have to many. hahah. Im growing cheato, calurepa and mangroves in this fuge.
Thanks for the reference Jamie

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Heffe01;87602 said:
Be careful with which ones you buy form intank.com. I bought two submersible lights for my two bc about a year ago. I got them and they were just submersible fountain lights. I was a little skeptical but used them anyway. Well turns out that they aren't supposed to be used in saltwater which is corrosive, only fresh water. They corroded in my tanks. They started turning blueish green, like the color of a penny in a pool. I about ****. I got a refund but wont ever use a submersible light again, or trust anyone but myself to use/approve equipment.
Just thought id let you know