Warning this post contains graphic content, especially if you are a fish.

Do I have a sushi eating predator that prefers em alive?

So this firefish had been hiding in his cave for 2 days and when he started to come out for food he had these horrible marks and a deep chunk missing. He is swimming and holding up well against the jerky clowns as well as eating now. What could have caused this? The markings are on both sides and are little dots in exception to the chunk. I have nothing in my tank other than peaceful guys and I would imagine if it was a worm or crab it would have to be huge to do that much damage before the fish swam away.

View attachment 18456 View attachment 18457

The only other thing I can think of is it got pinned magically in the rock work or the rocks moved while it was sleeping.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
That looks similar to the marks my Jawfish got. In his case it was aggression from my Lawn mower blenny. It was only the one time as they worked out who owned what areas of the tank, and they have both been model citizens since.... unlike my dang yellow tang who bullied a poor Mandarin to death.

Hmm I guess I can start to blame my royal gramma, no one bites while I watch. He's out and swimming just fine today, his marks look better already. Thanks for the input!

I read they are but this ones been in the tank for 3 years without an issue but then again the victim is 3 months new and has been scoping the same cave.

Update, the fire fish is recovering well. Hopefully this was a one time initiation