Well hello there

Hey my names Mike and I have a question about resurfacing an acrylic tank.

But first let me introduce myself lol.... Like I said I'm Mike I have a 75 Gallon Cichlid tank and a new 130 gallon I havent set up yet. I also keep snakes I have 8 boas and 1 ball python which is way less then had a few months ago lol I'm downsizing a lot.

But back to my question, I sanded it down with 1500 grit sand paper and now it is COMPLETELY cloudy what should I do?

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome and all you have to do is go to a local fish store and get acrilic buffer and buff it out

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Mityboognish1

Cleaner Shrimp
My acrylic resurficing kit starts at 1800 and goes up to 8000. You have to alternate directions of sanding/buffing increasing in grit (horizontal vs. vertical). They sell acrylic resurfacing kits (http://www.aquariumpros.com/p-RBSCRKIT,ATsk.html). Its a lot of work if you don't have a specific kit that attaches to a dril (they make one of these also). I did my 55 and it took a week and a lot of elbow grease

Ya i started with 600 grit and moved up to 1500 I did up/down left/right and then circular.... not in that order lol..... and it for sure looks less scratched now like I said its super cloudly.... I didnt have any deep scratches they were all fine.

Mityboognish1

Cleaner Shrimp
MSwift;140252 said:
Ya i started with 600 grit and moved up to 1500 I did up/down left/right and then circular.... not in that order lol..... and it for sure looks less scratched now like I said its super cloudly.... I didnt have any deep scratches they were all fine.
you should alternate direction (never circular) with each increase in grit size, this eliminates the scratches from the previous grit and creates new smaller ones and so on and so on, until the scratches are so small that you don't see them and then you buff it out with acrylic buffer (this is where you go circular), don't know how that looks for snake tanks, but once you get water in a tank the tiny scratches left by 8000 grit can not be seen

The snakes are in glass they are all in tubs and plastics :)

See I went to Ace and 1500 grit was the highest I could find do I have to order higher online..... I know at elite reefs they have a Novus kit that have up to 2000 grit.

This is my first acrylic tank (my 75 gallon is glass) and I got it used and was trying to do it myself I just hope after I buff it, it looks ok.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh yea they are local as well

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
YW

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=60789:name]

And as for your question, the lowest you want to end/finish sand with is 3000 grit. Any autobody shop has these or if you are in loveland(or close to) then Ed's auto paint n supply will have them. HTH

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the site, I agree with the alternating direction of sanding, circular will leave wavy inconsistencies.