We're not giving away any more chaeto.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm tired of getting burned when I try to help, so we are no longer going to make our chaeto available for giveaway. We've made it known that our chaeto is a key element of a huge established system, and contains a MULTITUDE of microfauna (abalone snails, brittle stars, pods, bristle worms, etc). Some of you have specifically requested portions of it specifically for that reason, and we've been happy to oblige because we have no shortage. Today, not for the first time, someone who has received something from us later comes back asking about some unknown thing that they think might have hitchhiked into their tank from ours, and they think might be bad because they don't have any clue what it is. So we're done giving away bags full of chaeto. My deepest apologies to those who were expecting free chaeto from us at the upcoming meeting. I'm sure there are others in the club who are willing to take the risk and share theirs.

It bears repeating that you are responsible for anything you put in your tank. Dip everything! We do, I promise you. If you fail to dip what you bring home, that's entirely on you.

If you find something new in your tank, do your own research before privately contacting the person or store you think it came from. Publicly accusing someone of distributing unwanted pests is something that should happen only if you have definitively identified the hitchhiker and the source, discussed it with that member privately, and they refuse to stop distributing items without offering full disclosure. Jumping to conclusions, and publicly accusing people of this kind of thing is very damaging. Particularly when those accusations are incorrect.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Sucks! But I hear ya.

Mine had a ton of pods, glad I was able to get it when I could. Thanks again. See ya next weekend.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dang sorry to hear about this.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

And definitely if I had any question about something I would pm the person. I didn't see the entire convo but there's such a scare all the time about damaging creatures in our systems that you need to be careful how you go about discussing stuff like that. Sorry you're not sharing chaeto anymore though. I'm sure you helped a lot of people with beneficial organisms from it.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear Cindy (and Mike). it sucks when people ***** and complain after you've done something nice for them. Kinda sounds like my kids at times. (whoops, I didn't say that).

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry for the double post here, but I just had a LOL moment, and thought I should share.

I've been super busy with work, and finally had time to get caught up with my tank. I spent a lot of time yesterday and today doing maint, moving things around, adding a couple of frags, did a water change, etc.. One of the things I did, was pick up some halimeda from Jahmic. I don't have a true fuge, but use the overflow area as one (it is a peninsula style tank). Every once in a while I'll drip a gal of kalk into the tank, I was setting that up tonight, and took a peek into the fuge, and on the algae I got yesterday was a 2" aptasia. The fist thing that crossed my mind was this thread, and I started laughing.

No way do I hold Khalis (Jahmic) responsible, nor does it bother me. He did me a favor, and I appreciate it! I then yanked it out, and it's now in my trash can. I did think about selling it on ebay first, as a rare algae eating anemone, but the trash can was an easier approach.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
You could've made bank on that fancy hand blown glass anemone!!! Holy bones! You'd've been set for life if you'd've cut it in half and let it heal up into 2!!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I did a fresh water dip on some macro I got recently to kill any potential pests.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;289592 said:
So odd q, does one normally dip chaeto?
I was wondering the same thing. Wouldn't that kill most of the good stuff you are trying to bring in? I think the intent was to say the only way to be totally safe is to dip everything, even if it does more harm than good at times.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
When I did the dip I was adding macro to an already established fuge. I also knew there was a possibility of there being red bugs and didn't want to introduce them to my tank. So I did a rodi dip for like 5 minutes and it appeared to kill everything including some pods but I already had those.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;289633 said:
Dang...sorry Alan. Didn't even know I had any in my fuge. Time for a peppermint.
Don't worry about it. Its my fault for not inspecting the algae first, and I thought it was funny seeing it in there.

I did dip the frag, but figured it was safe coming from you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;289637 said:
Dang people ruin it for others :( Well Cindy let me know what you would want for trade for some hand picked mini brittles :)
If you wanna make the hike down here & pick them yourself, no charge. I know they're all 'good for your tank' and stuff, but they give me the creeps.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;289639 said:
If you wanna make the hike down here & pick them yourself, no charge. I know they're all 'good for your tank' and stuff, but they give me the creeps.

Well I might have to come up for the super bowl party then :p

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
WOW, Im kinda ****ed now. Whoever did this has now directly affected me as well cause I wont be getting any brittle stars. Thanks alot who ever you are!!

Any Cindy, I totally see your point, thats complete bull****!!!

Done ranting now