What camera would you recommend for taking pictures?

bush8984

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Hi! I want to get a camera for my husband for Christmas. He loves taking pictures of his tank but he always uses our crappy camera phone's to do it and they don't get good pictures at all. What camera do you recommend for getting up close shots like of his corals and fish?

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use a Canon 60D which is really nice especially for video. The T3i is similar. I'd recommend getting a better lens
than what they come with though.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
The video on the T3i is finicky. First off it's high quality video so you need a high end video card to process the video fast enough or the video cuts out. Then it's a picture camera with a video option so the chip heats up quick using the video and causes the video to cut out after a few minutes. I thought maybe it was a defect in my camera but there are forums full of this info and explanation. So if you're looking for a video camera get a video camera and leave the T3i for pictures.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;201778 said:
First off it's high quality video so you need a high end video card to process the video fast enough or the video cuts out.
Yep, my 60D requires a Class 10 card.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
bush8984;201170 said:
Hi! I want to get a camera for my husband for Christmas. He loves taking pictures of his tank but he always uses our crappy camera phone's to do it and they don't get good pictures at all. What camera do you recommend for getting up close shots like of his corals and fish?
I beg to differ about the camera phones. I take all my photography with my HTC Amaze camera phone. Its 8mp and has a macro setting. I took these pics with it...[attachment=63087:name]
[attachment=63088:name]
Im sure that there are many other expensive cameras that can take even better macro shots but this is good enough for me. Not sure what your looking for but the camera on my phone was free