What do you guys think of these LEDs?

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I first started looking for LEDs I came across those, they have no wattage and would be a waste of your money.
I would look at doing a DIY build or getting some proven lights

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I agree with the DIY Builds or another High quality LED Light. Those lights on ebay are just a bunch of 5mm LED's. They would do no good on a tank more than a few inches deep. I think that they are geared more toward plants. Our reefs require more intense lighting that those can produce. If you need any help or sources for different LED's let me know. I have done a number of builds and used many sources and brands.

Thanks guys I'm still looking around, I just dont know what I want yet @Ambrosio Aquatics has some good deals.... I wish I could just get them now, but I can't :(

I have been looking at a DIY for a while and I found someone on the site that build them or help me build them for which is what I'm really leaning towards.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you can get the best bang for your buck with a DIY. Especially for a large system like yours. lpsouth would be a good guy to talk to, also thatoneguy as he's done a lot of LEDs as well. I mainly got all my info reading through DIY threads on reef central and nano reef. It's intimidating as there is a ton of info out there that you have to sift through and decide what you really want. Just let me know when you're ready to start building.

@cdrewferd thanks I will talk to them.... I will have to get with both of them and figure it out

You buy entire DIY kits online but they are just as pricey as prebuild LED's, I will just have to get a list of everything I need and eBay it up lol

@Craig my tank is 72 x 24.5 x 29.5

I just wish I had 1200 to drop on lights

I looked at the shop though and you can just buy the housing.... I could always get that and then the parts on eBay

lpsouth1978@msn.com

I would be happy to help you out. I have done many builds and can answer any questions you may have or help you with the build.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

I actually got most of the parts from Here: www.satisLED.com
Though I would not suggest using the drivers from them. They are garbage. I tried them and 1 of 4 worked. I would go with meanwell drivers. I currently have these running over 1 of my tanks and you are welcome to come look at it anytime.

Also check out this site and DIY Kit. http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/120--LEDs--DIY-Dimmable-Kit.html I would do 2:1, blue to white. One of these kits is equal to nearly 2 evo's. It is just more work to make it. 2 of these kits would be more than enough for that tank. So nearly a 50% savings over the Evo's.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
lpsouth1978;175543 said:
Also check out this site and DIY Kit. http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/120--LEDs--DIY-Dimmable-Kit.html I would do 2:1, blue to white. One of these kits is equal to nearly 2 evo's. It is just more work to make it. 2 of these kits would be more than enough for that tank. So nearly a 50% savings over the Evo's.
WOW! You could probably almost get away with ONE of those kits Mike!! IMO I'm not a DIY guy with lighting, but that kit makes me want to look into it. 120 x3w Bridgelux = 360 watts!! I have two strips of 20 Bridgelux 3w LED's over my 110g and honestly could have probably left it at that, even though I added Reefbrites. With just those two strips (totaling 120w) the tank was happy and seemed to be getting all the light it needed/wanted. I'm impressed with that kit.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

I would keep checking back, they should have those drivers back in stock soon. I have rarely seen them run out of things for long.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, the aquastyleonline kit is probably the best bang for your buck out there. Putting it together is easy. You buy it Evan and I'll build it for you.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk