Butterfly Fish
what types of media do you guys/galls use in your filters and reactors
pros / cons?
thanks for sharing input/ideas
would be interested to see photos of your filtration systems also

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
We use Poly-Bio-Marine's polyfilter in all our display and store systems. Great insurance against most toxins that may fall into your system.

V

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I use BRS high capacity GFO in a TLF phosban 150 reactor on two of my tanks.
Pro: This setup works well reducing phosphates/ = less time spent cleaning the glass.
Con: GFO is kind of expensive. I enjoy spending money on GFO about as much as spending money on tires for my truck. Its worth it though.

The other tank I run BRS high capacity GFO in a BRS reactor and NP pearls biopellets in a CAD lights BR-1 reactor.
Pro: Adding biopellets supercharged my tank (SPS color is bolder than before), I barely have to clean the glass at all. Biopellets last a long time 6+ months without adding more.
Cons: It took almost two months for the biopellets to work at full power. Not really an issue long term. High initial cost.

***I feed my fish 3-5 times a day and my corals 1-2 times per week, so I need a bit more nutrient export than people who feed less.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I replace GFO when I notice that I have to clean the glass more frequently. About every 4-6weeks depending on the tank. I don' run carbon regularly, I only use it if I have a concern that there might be toxins in the water (ex. fragging, flatworm treatment, dead fish)

Per RHF its will release aluminum.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/7/chemistr
In this article I will give some details of aluminum in natural seawater, and will discuss the sparse literature on the toxicity of aluminum ions to marine organisms. I will also show that aluminum is indeed released from one of these types of materials (Phosguard, sold by Seachem). Finally, I will show whether added soluble aluminum irritates any of several corals in a test aquarium.