What order should I add my fish?

So my new tank just cycled and I am getting ready to add fish. Dimensions are 72*18*30 with corner overflow. I have a basic idea of what I want for fish. I will be putting in for sure my one spot foxface, yellow clown goby, mandarin, and 2 ocellaris clowns. On top of that I want to put in a powder blue tang, blue eye kole tang, and possibly a hippo tang or something else, suggestions? I'm pretty sure this would be considered light stocking, but as of right now I am content with that list. Anyways, to get to the point, I am wondering in what order I should add these fish or if any of the tangs aren't compatible with each other. At the end of the cycle, the nitrate was only at 5 ppm so there must not have been much die off so I will be adding slowly to ensure I don't screw up the system. As a side note, my wife LOVES her clownfish, so they are the number 1 priority. So what do you think? What order should I add these fish?

ialtalal

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: What order should I add my fish?

Powder blues are ich magnet but very rewarding fish when its healthy and fed well its one my favorite tangs. Khol tangs are pretty as well. I would wait on the Mandarin just so you can build up and nice pods population for the fish as its hard to get them to eat other food :) I like all your fish suggestions :D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The mandarin is in my 75 right now and there is plenty of pods, I am transferring that LR into the new tank to provide pods for him as well as transferring the refugium to the new sump... If i don't see pods in the new tank by the time I'm ready to tear down the 75 I plan on selling him.
My biggest concern is aggression. I was thinking about adding the two tangs at the beginning, then the foxface and the clowns, but I am worried that the tangs will get territorial to the clowns possibly.

ialtalal

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

I did the same when I transfered everything from my 120 gallon to the 180.and I was worried about my mandarin but it made it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Cool. I'm hoping everything will go well for him. I see bugs all over the rocks in the current system so I just hope that when I swap it over they will all hold on well too.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Add the fish in the order that you can find quality specimens and get them through QT. I never found PBTs or other tangs to be aggressive if water quality is high and they are well fed.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My experience says no if the tangs are well taken care of. I just added a pair of photon clowns into my 240 with a good sized yellow and a bluejaw. The YT and Bluejaw went over and said hi, but have never bothered the clowns. I will stress again, that these fish need to be well fed in good water - like enough food so that they are fat and grow.

I plan on keeping bioload low because I like to feed my fish well. I do once a day feeding where I drop in 3 or 4 pellets or mysis etc at a time for 3 or so minutes. I tried noori for my foxface but he wouldn't eat it. I'm hoping the tangs will, but my plan is to follow that plan and supplement with nori or some other type of shet algae 2-3 times per week. Does that seem like enough food?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I make sure that mine get at least 50-75% of their diet from NLS pellets. Then, some PE Mysis (not the off brand) and squid and stuff and nori last. I have been feeding some of the red plankton lately and my fish crush it like crack.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Is this the tank you got water from me to fill? If so I would highly reccomend waiting a bit longer for it to cycle. Did you use a peice of shrimp to help cycle? You need the ammonia to help jump start the bacterias.

As soon as you add all that love rock your probably going to have a slight nitrate spike, and possibly a bit of ammonia

IMHO, I would wait a couple more weeks before adding anything, this is just based off my recent experience with my rebuild and the issues I had, wish I wouldnt have jumped the gun!

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
bubbarockies;244618 said:
Ok, so if I went out and got a powder blue and put him in first then my clowns and foxface the PBT won't bug them?
i have had tons of tangs on hand and powder blues are def more aggressive. typically towards other tangs. the reason you want to add him last is to let the other fish establish a territory. regardless of how they are cared they can be extremely aggressive but just like any other animal, some are mean and some are not

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMHO i suggest this order: goby/mandarin, clowns, foxface, tangs. i've had most but not all of those genuses, and dealt with enough aggression/rehoming issues to think it can't hurt to try introduce in order of least to most aggressive. but, if any turn out to be a particularly aggressive specimen, stalking order may not necessarily diffuse. size makes a difference too.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

jda123;244620 said:
My experience says no if the tangs are well taken care of. I just added a pair of photon clowns into my 240 with a good sized yellow and a bluejaw. The YT and Bluejaw went over and said hi, but have never bothered the clowns. I will stress again, that these fish need to be well fed in good water - like enough food so that they are fat and grow.
But you sir have a 240, where he does not. IMO, that has played a big part...the well fed fish prob helped too.

daverf;245310 said:
IMHO i suggest this order: goby/mandarin, clowns, foxface, tangs. i've had most but not all of those genuses, and dealt with enough aggression/rehoming issues to think it can't hurt to try introduce in order of least to most aggressive. but, if any turn out to be a particularly aggressive specimen, stalking order may not necessarily diffuse. size makes a difference too.
This