1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Whats on my rocks?

Discussion in 'Rock' started by mbaeza64, May 29, 2014.

1. mbaeza64

mbaeza64 Amphipod

Do you mind if I ask you a question about my aquarium?

2. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

I'd be happy to help. Ask away.

3. mbaeza64

mbaeza64 Amphipod

Thank you and this is on one of my rocks and idk what it is? View attachment 19473

4. mbaeza64

mbaeza64 Amphipod

View attachment 19474 and it looks like an egg but explodes or something and goes everywhere! I don't have a clue what it is or if it's bad???

5. mbaeza64

mbaeza64 Amphipod

6. FinsUp

I don't see anything out of the ordinary... what, specifically, are you trying to identify?

7. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

I would suggest creating your own thread with this problem so others can help too... And is there any chance you can circle or arrow what you are specifically worried about?

8. mbaeza64

mbaeza64 Amphipod

I'm not sure I'll send a closer picture and I'm new so I don't have a clue in how to do that View attachment 19476

9. mbaeza64

mbaeza64 Amphipod

10. Balz3352

Are you talking about the brown stuff? If so looks like detritus to me

11. mbaeza64

mbaeza64 Amphipod

Yes and is that bad?

12. FinsUp

hmmm... not sure. Usually I try to avoid egglike things that send out spores (explode), because they're not usually good. If nobody else chimes in with an ID on this thread, you might want to post up a new one with the best pics you can get of it. Just say you need an ID on it, that it looks like an egg that's exploding or sending out spores. There's a lot of good folks in the club, most of whom are better at identifying those kinds of critters than I am. If it really bothers you, take that rock out of your tank and see if you can remove the egg, then rinse it well to get all the egg bits off the rock and put it back in your tank. It might be harmless, tho.

13. Balz3352

Nope natural cycle of a new tank... It should go away on its own. Patients is a key here.... This is the stuff that your bacteria will feed on and will establish your natural flora!

14. CRW Reef

CRW Reef Orca Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

15. mbaeza64

mbaeza64 Amphipod

Thank you

16. mbaeza64

mbaeza64 Amphipod

Thank you I'll let it take its course.

17. Balz3352

18. FinsUp

diatom bloom would make sense, given the age of your tank.

(thanks Chad - I think he'll get better answers here than in my mangrove thread)

19. jahmic

jahmic Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

The brown stuff looks like diatoms...pretty much standard in a new tank. As the tank matures they will start to disappear.

If you can squirt water at the rocks with a turkey baster and stuff blows off, that'd be detritus...but the diatoms won't really go anywhere. If you are getting a lot of detritus on the rocks, then you should try adding more flow to the tank to prevent it from accumulating and causing more problems later.

20. mbaeza64

mbaeza64 Amphipod