What's on the side of my vlamingi tang??? Please help ID

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
So I am pretty worried about my vlamingi tang. Over the last week it started to develop some weird spots on just one side. It's not ich, I've dealt with that before. Looks like some bumps, may be parasites? Anyone has any ideas??

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Almost looks like flukes. Can't really tell from the picture.

V
GWA

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
The picture does not show it well, I agree. Those are pretty decent size bumps on the skin. I thought it was ich at first but they are much larger and more gray than white. That's why I thought it could have been some external parasites. They've gotten bigger in size as well. The fish acts absolutely normal from what I can tell. Great appetite and swimming around like nothing is bothering it. The only fish that has these things on it. I tried searching on Internet but not much luck. Hard to find info if you are not sure what you are looking for. Thanks for the input though!

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Freshwater dip it. I have done this many times for up to 5 minutes. Makes most of them just fall off with no effect on the fish. A saltwater dip with Prazipro will work as well. Prazipro is a dewormer from Hikari.

V

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
fishguy69;290091 said:
Freshwater dip it. I have done this many times for up to 5 minutes. Makes most of them just fall off with no effect on the fish. A saltwater dip with Prazipro will work as well. Prazipro is a dewormer from Hikari.

V
I'll try to do a freshwater dip. What are the chances that my other fish have them or will get them?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would expect to see pitting on the head and as well as see the actual lateral line if it was HLLE, but it could be.

What are you feeding it?

If you can catch it, QT it after your FW dip. Prazi is a good idea.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
jda123;290161 said:
I would expect to see pitting on the head and as well as see the actual lateral line if it was HLLE, but it could be.

What are you feeding it?

If you can catch it, QT it after your FW dip. Prazi is a good idea.
i give them a variety of food. Two types of dry seaweed, frozen mysis, plankton, brine shrimp, formula two. Also add some garlic and multi vitamins to their diet.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Once you do the freshwater dip you will see them, flukes, in the bucket or net. Usually if one fish has it others may be infected too. The FD will help release the little buggers from the gill plates as well as the exterior of the fish. Let us know what you find.

V

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Catfish Charlie;290364 said:
I agree with Vince its monogenean skin flukes!
Ok, got the fish out of the tank, did fresh water dip for 5 min. All that stuff is still on the fish. Should I do it longer next time? Should I try to QT it with copper meds? Not sure what to do here. Don't want to put it back in the main tank though. Any suggestions? Don't have much experience in treating sick fish other than with ich...

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
reeftankulous;290399 said:
Ok, got the fish out of the tank, did fresh water dip for 5 min. All that stuff is still on the fish. Should I do it longer next time? Should I try to QT it with copper meds? Not sure what to do here. Don't want to put it back in the main tank though. Any suggestions? Don't have much experience in treating sick fish other than with ich...
So you did the dip and nothing came off?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
H2O_intolerant;290432 said:
So you did the dip and nothing came off?

Yep, same weird looking bumps on the skin. And less than two hours later poor guy went belly up... So that's that I guess. Keeping my fingers crossed the other fish do not follow his lead.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
reeftankulous;290461 said:
Yep, same weird looking bumps on the skin. And less than two hours later poor guy went belly up... So that's that I guess. Keeping my fingers crossed the other fish do not follow his lead.
Don't trash/flush it! The guys at Neptunes have a microscope, maybe they can diagnose posthumously?