What's wrong with my cleaner shrimp?

Just started to notice over the past couple days my scarlet cleaner shrimp is turning black all over, also he now has a dead leg and the other legs are turning black from the feet up aswell. He has been in this tank for about 3 weeks now and has been eating fine, so I'm worried cause I don't turning black like this is normal, here is a pic, thanks for any help

When was your last water change? The iodine in the salt mix should help him molt. If it is still there after he molts or it comes back again than it's a disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last water change was 2 days ago he recently molted prolly a week ago. I am currently 18 days into cycling the tank with red seas reef mature pro kit, but none of the chemicals in that kit should effect the shrimp. It litterally looks like his limps are dieing from the feet up.

He probably is. He is a crustacean man. Putting a cleaning crew into a 3 week old tank is cruel. Slow down. Wait a few more weeks/months for the tank to mature. What are your Mag. Ca. and Alka. Levels? Salinity? I just can't get why with all the information available online and in these forums for folks to continue to do this. I get it, I know it's hard to look at nothing in a tank, I do. But, please refer to others mistakes and make them your advantage. Please don't mistake me for being a dick man, I want all to enjoy this great hobby.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

First off, the tank is not 3 weeks old, if you knew shit about the Red Sea reef mature pro kit you can use it on a devoloped tank. 2nd off all the in habitants of this tank I've had for years, cleaning crew included. All my levels are with the parameters of the directions supplied by Red Sea for the exact doses discribed for each chemical. So before you go all high and mighty you might want to keep your mouth shut before I contiue to make you look stupid.

Bdk1786

Butterfly Fish
No sense in getting butt hurt over timnem70's comment. From how you phrased it, I concluded that your tank was also only 3 weeks old. We all know now that is not the case. That's why it's always easier to just toss out your params upon posting, just to avoid this confusion.

My .02

I at first thought your tank was 3 weeks old too. Now seeing the clarification it makes more sense. We are all in the hobby because we love it, and all need to be here for advice and help one another. It is really hard to say what's going on with the shrimp. It could have been a disease he had and the stress of transferring to your tank made it develop. If he is eating like normal and none of the others in the clean up crew or turning on their sides and dying off, it could be just a sick shrimp.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you used the bacteria start garbage that they sell, it could have ammonia poisoning. Have you tested your basic test since jacking with your biologicals? An established tank needs none of the things that red sea is offering in this kit and they can indeed do damage to an established ecosystem. Shrimp don't live too terribly long... if you have had it for two or three years, it might just be getting old. f what I am seeing is black sand, there are certain kinds that will release harsh metals that can kill inverts slowly and painfully - what is particularly non-helpful is that the people who sell the bad kind say that it is OK on the bag.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lmao "continue to make you look stupid" what's your problem man. I thought the same exact thing everyone else did. You should chill out and clarify your post instead of telling members to shut their mouths. You just made yourself look stupid no one else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
legendracer79;n664933 said:
First off, the tank is not 3 weeks old, if you knew **** about the Red Sea reef mature pro kit you can use it on a devoloped tank. 2nd off all the in habitants of this tank I've had for years, cleaning crew included. All my levels are with the parameters of the directions supplied by Red Sea for the exact doses discribed for each chemical. So before you go all high and mighty you might want to keep your mouth shut before I contiue to make you look stupid.
You are the only clown looking stupid overreacting. You specifically said "cycling with" which sounds like a new tank. Gawd, have the internet feeling of paper machete snowflake...

JDA covered the possibilities nicely, and that you bought basically some marketing hype probably. Though I'm torn if a vial of bad/dead bacteria would be enough to ammonia spike or not. (Tank volume)

Given 3 weeks.... that's pretty slow to be dying from a shock in tank change. Usually it's quick if they don't tolerate a transition.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
First we all want to grow our community and help those that come into this forum asking questions.

Legendracer79, I understand that from your initial post that your tank was new. Some good advice is to post your parameters so that others can make an intelligent comment towards your problem. To say they are withing or OK does not tell us what they are. Then to start telling people to shut up isn't productive.

Again, our goal is to promote healthy systems so that like timnem70 said we want everyone to have a good experience instead of devestating results due to something that could be avoided.

No one should be attacking anyone, let's start over and see if we can help you. If you want to post up your parameters for us to look at we would be happy to try our best to help.

I googled diseases for Skarlet Cleaner Shrimp and it does address black marking on the shrimp. It was hard for me to see anything on him so it might help you.

Welcome to the forums, I am assuming your new.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Maybe you used something in your tank that is made of or touched copper. Shrimp are highly intolerant of copper. Not sure what the symptoms are tho.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am sure that it says this on the Red Sea Snake Oil Kit, but when you grow bacteria in the tank, it is not just waterborne bacteria that multiply rapidly... this will include bacteria from infections in the fish and inverts.

Aragonite will bind copper a bit - I would not worry about a bit of stray copper here or there. There are other harsh metals that aragonite will not bind that could be an issue.

Tank moves and unstable ecosystems cause shrimp to get weak. Weak shrimp get diseases and bacterial diseases are exasperated by organic carbon.

Again, nearly impossible to provide any help without any tank details.