1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with my puffer?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by JoshHill83, May 21, 2017.

1. JoshHill83

JoshHill83 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

noticed these two bumps about 4 days ago. They were subtle then, now about 2" wide. He's also had a dramatically decreased appetite in the past 2 months or so. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

2. jda123

jda123 Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

I would post these on one of the nationwide boards in the fish disease section... more folks to see them. I have no idea.

3. Ambrosio Aquatics

Ambrosio Aquatics Barracuda Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

it might be air trapped inside. has he puffed up recently? sometimes they cant ex-spell all the air. if the bumps are soft to the touch its might be trapped air

4. JoshHill83

JoshHill83 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

I don't think that's it, but I can't be certain. I've only ever seen him puff up twice and he hasn't lately that I know of. initially they looked like gum drops under his skin, now they look like tea bags and the skin is deteriorating. I posted on R2R as well

5. Ambrosio Aquatics

Ambrosio Aquatics Barracuda Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

if its loosing skin i doubt its trapped air. but im not sure what else it might be

6. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

oh no not the puffer :(
    Looks like maybe he injured it somehow. Maybe try some Melafix?

7. Fourthwind

Fourthwind Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

to me this says hematomas caused by internal parasites. which would explain the loss of appetite.

8. Fitz19d

Fitz19d Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Fishy cancer/prolapse?

I know you've had him quite a while? Maybe some old age thing.

Depending what forums say may be worth penning him with egg crate into a corner to observe better and maybe even lift him into a small tank to handle and get a closer look.

I don't think we are a state with qualified fish vets unfortunately.