What's wrong with my yellow tang?

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
My yellow tang looks like it hasn't had a meal in three months. It is really skinny but it eats like a pig! Nori sheets, formula 2 , frozen foods, pellets. Can't seem to gain any weight. What can be the cause? Some internal parasites? How can I deal with this?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
From what I saw at your house...my guess would be an internal parasite. Have you noticed any stringy white poop? Can't remember if you mentioned not noticing that while I was there. That being said, I'm pretty sure my diamond goby never had stringy poop that I noticed, and yet he never gained weight for a year and was always VERY skinny.

I treated the tank with Prazipro and he fattened up within weeks. I'd suggest trying a medicated food with dewormer to see if that helps, or treating with prazipro...which is fairly "reef safe". Read up on it before you make that decision; I'd probably go the medicated food route first though.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
jahmic;255042 said:
From what I saw at your house...my guess would be an internal parasite. Have you noticed any stringy white poop? Can't remember if you mentioned not noticing that while I was there. That being said, I'm pretty sure my diamond goby never had stringy poop that I noticed, and yet he never gained weight for a year and was always VERY skinny.

I treated the tank with Prazipro and he fattened up within weeks. I'd suggest trying a medicated food with dewormer to see if that helps, or treating with prazipro...which is fairly "reef safe". Read up on it before you make that decision; I'd probably go the medicated food route first though.
Thanks for the info Khalis. Any particular medicated food i should be looking for? I never had to deal with this stuff before... I've heard about Prazipro and some good results that it produces so going to read up on that as well.

kio707;255040 said:
Have a pic?

David

Here are some pics... Not looking so hot these days
[attachment=64751:name]
Pic1, a few weeks ago. Started noticing some brownish marks on its body. Fish is still nice and fat, all fins look good.
These three are taken a few minutes ago. Super skinny body, fins are somewhat "deformed"
[attachment=64754:name]

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
What's wrong with my yellow tang?

jahmic;255042 said:

+1. After seeing the pics, I'd have to agree.

David

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard of people having good luck with "Dr. G's" dewormer food. The active ingredient is praziquantel...the same thing that's in prazipro. Had I heard about this food prior to picking up prazipro, it would've been my choice for treating my goby.

He looks even skinnier now than he did when I was there...I'd say give the food a go if you can get your hands on it; I know Nick (Ambrosio) had ordered some recently, maybe check with him?

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
jahmic;255049 said:
I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard of people having good luck with "Dr. G's" dewormer food. The active ingredient is praziquantel...the same thing that's in prazipro. Had I heard about this food prior to picking up prazipro, it would've been my choice for treating my goby.

He looks even skinnier now than he did when I was there...I'd say give the food a go if you can get your hands on it; I know Nick (Ambrosio) had ordered some recently, maybe check with him?
Yep, he is definitely in worse shape now than he was just a few days ago. The only positive is that he hasn't lost his appetite. I will continue to offer as much food as he is able to consume and will try to find some medicated food ASAP!

samindenver

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nick at Ambrosio Aquatics caries the Dr Gs food line. Drop him a note. If he's around, you can pick some up today.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
samindenver;255070 said:
Nick at Ambrosio Aquatics caries the Dr Gs food line. Drop him a note. If he's around, you can pick some up today.
Thanks! I pm'd him last night. Hopefully I can pic some up today.