where to buy bulk sand

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anyone know where to buy the big bags of argonite sand?

I'm hoping to find a home depot or lowes that sells the argonite sand, Ive seen it labeled as carribean play sand before I think.

Thanks, Mike

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: where to buy bulk sand

Marco rocks. Lots of sand for not lots of money, shipped priority so it arrives fast.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Use to be southdown and carribean play sand. Havent found any locally for a while. I have heard you can check it with vinegar. If it bubbles its argonite. Be careful do not get anything with silicate (sp) in it. Probably worth it to go through marcos like cindy said

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, I want to buy some bulk for my kids sand pile, probably overkill but I like the idea of argonite sand vs silica. I have since found it goes under the name southdown or yard right or old castle sand co. I would even been willing to bring in a pallet if I could source it if anyone wanted to get a bag or more.

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
You might want to check out Kolorscape playsand. I think Kmart or Walmart used to sell it locally (not sure if they're going to again this season). Comes in all different colors, however, I've read that the white color passes the vinegar test indicating that it is aragonite. Someone mentioned on another forum that Old Castle is the manufacturer of it further indicating it's probably aragonite. Something to research anyways.

The debate has been going on for longer than I have been a member here over the use of silica sand vs. aragonite sand. One way to look at it is this, if silica sand leached silicates into the water, than a glass tank would be taboo since they are just melted silica sand! I have set up reefs with both types of sand and frankly, the only difference I could find is that since the aragonite sand is calcium based, it had a slightly higher CA reading. Since most of us dose or use CA reactors, that isn't really an issue to me. I am setting up a 75 reef currently and I am using silica sand, I just make sure it is rinsed very well.