Which controller?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm looking for a controller for my 30. I don't have a ph probe nor a temp prob yet. I've been checking manually and that's a pain. I ended up with a tunze 6055 so need to be able to control that as well. Don't want to spend 400 on a controller. What do you guys recommend. I was reading about the reef angel but don't want to mess with the coding.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reef keeper lite is affordable! Has temp ph and comes w 4 plug in if you want to pm Craig he has the head unit and temp probe I think and then all you need is plug ins!

Reefkeeper lite is ok unless you are wanting to expand in the future. I have an RKE and am not really liking the lack of ecotech support. If I had to do it again I would go with an Apex or Reef Angel.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Coding is automated, even a noob like me did it. I think the RA offers the most bang for your buck. It offers free programs that you would have to pay for with the Neptune and DA. The phone app is sweet, but that requires the wifi attachment (I ordered the RA and wifi, $370). I think that coding on the computer is lots easier than punching in buttons in the controller. My biggest complain with the RA is that I have it setup so that I can only mess with the programming via computer, my computer has been out of commission for a month now. Another thing is that my pH calibration keeps getting messed up.

I think the Neptune family products is really easy to program and intuitive to program. They have all the bells and whistles, and seem to be the most popular. If you're looking for budget controllers ,the Apex Jr. is a sweet deal. I was debating between this controller and the RA. The issue I had was that Neptune sells everything in modules (as do the others), but I would have been spending the same amount getting the Apex Jr up to par with the RA. I've never tried to get an Apex online, but can't imagine it would be too hard. I like the look of the Apex Jr as well.

I haven't messed with Digital Aquatics products, so I can't comment on their products.

I know the RA customer service is top notch, but I've heard good things about Neptune as well.

If all you want is to control the 6055, you can get the Tunze wave maker. I'm pretty sure both of the controllers have similar features though.

One more thing about the controllers, it matters which one you get if you decide to DIY some LEDs. Unless you get the switchable drivers, but the analog and PWM drivers will have to be matched up with the controller output signal (not hard, but can cause/save you headaches)

Hopefully I gave you some things to think about. Either one you choose there will be support here on the site to help you with.

You can save yourself some cash and go with an older model (ei. acjr). They offer most of the same features but are limited on their expandability.

Sent using Forum Runner

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well here is what I want. PH probe, temp probe, tunze control and I have the ai sol with their controller. I'd like to see about controlling my ai with it if it offers better controlling? That's pretty much it for now. I have a jbj ato and don't really like it for the nano.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Neptune is matched with the controller also it can wirelessly control vortech pumps im not sure how tunes works

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is or my 30 I don't ever plan on having vortechs on it. Especially after spending 200 on the tunze 6055.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know there is a thread about controlling 6055+ using the tunze interface on the RA forum, but you can still use the wavemaker function to make waves. I know Roberto was working on controlling the speed also. To do what you want you would need a RA ($219) and the AI cables ($15), it would also come with two float switches, 8 plug outlet, pH probe, temp probe, and head unit.

I'm biased though, as I like the RA better than the Neptune I had. There have been a few more controllers hitting the market lately, so you might want to look around.

Sent using Forum Runner

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What's the difference between the reef keeper lite and elite?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reef keeper lite can control up to 4 modules (pc4, net, sl1, ect.) elite can control 63 or some insane # close to that... I've got a lite with a pc4 and sl1. Right now it controls my temp, ATO, and daytime lights. I'll probably add another pc4 and a net module to mine. The nice thing is if you get a lite and decide to upgrade to an elite, just send the head unit in and they'll give you $50 towards an elite head unit. The modules work on either head unit. There are some other advantages to an elite that they describe on the website, but I can't remember what they are, as they didn't interest me enough to warrant the upgrade.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Has anyone used the rkl for wave maker the one included and or the separate module? And what about the ai sol controller?

The DA products do work well for controlling the AI SOLs, although it does require the ALC module to control the SOLs through the headunit. They do have control of intensities, and storm control etc. The wave maker function basically just turns the plug on and off, and I wouldn't use it on an expensive pump as it is hard on it. For the Tunze's they do offer the APC module which allows control through the headunit and through the net if you have the net module etc.

The problem with the Reef Keeper Lite comes into play when you are wanting to control several items like you are. With one PC4 (4 Powered Outlets), one SL1 for two switching ports and PH and ORP, one APC and one ALC then the RKL is maxed out with only 4 controlled outlets. And that is without a connection to the net to be able to send e-mails etc if there is a problem or control the unit from the web. That is why I went with the Reef Keeper Elite.

But my problem is that I use mostly Ecotech products, and I switched over after I had my Reefkeeper. I have two Radions and one Vortech, and when I switch to my 125 I will have three Radions and two Vortechs, none of which I can control with the Reefkeeper. If you are ever planning on using Ecotech products that you want controlled don't go with a Reefkeeper, they have no interest in working on a module for them.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The RA can control the AI's just have to get the cable for it. I dont know about controlling the Tunze though but the site has a ton of info on it.
The computer app can generate the code pretty easily and the guys on the site are more than willing to help out. I have a lot of custom coding on mine and it really wasnt bad to setup. I would be willing to help get it setup too.
Out of the box it has 2 PWM channels 8 outlets, temp prob, ph probe, and the wifi attachment you can fine tune it via the android or iphone app

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well just got a killer deal on the reef keeper elite.
Headunit, 2 pc4, sl1 with ph, orp, temp probes, LEDs, mlc, double float switch with mounts, programming dongle.