Who carries tanks?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What shops in town have a decent selection of tanks? Any? Or do the all need to order?

I'm rethinking my setup, and am considering a:

60 cube - 24 x 24 x 24
75 - 48 x 18 x 21 Tall
65 - 48 x 18 x 16 Tall
55 - 48 x 12 x 21

Want to keep it rimless. Not opposed to ordering online, but want starfire on it.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I doubt you will find that nice tank locally. Most stores carry the general oceanic tank.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I feared that might be the answer.

Any recommendation for online builders?

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I came across Glass Cages and Coast to Coast Aquariums when I was looking for a tank a while back. No experience with either though, so no recommendations just some info.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you want glass or acrylic? If acrylic, there are a few people locally who can custom build it for you. I would also stay away from the 55, they are not wide enough (front to back) to do much of a reef in.

Out of the ones you list above, I would go with the cube, or the 75. (BTW my tank is 20" tall).

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 for the 60 cube. Not on your end of town...but Elite Reef had some Marinelands in stock for a while, I think right now they only have a smaller rimless cube in stock at ~30 gallons or so. I've seen the rimless cubes at a couple other shops on occasion, but the starfire glass would probably call for a special order.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd like to stay glass I think. Paranoid about scratches, and I'm not sure if its a valid concern or not. Which is actually more durable?

I'm trying to free up some floor space, and have a half wall I was "considering" putting a tank on. The wall is 13" wide, so while it would be perfect, the idea that it might be too narrow has crossed my mind.

Then I saw ShelbyJK500's build over the half wall, and thought maybe I can extend my wall a bit.

It's amazing how many tanks you see, and say "that's awesome". I flip flop between a cube and rectangular tank every 5 minutes. :)

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Who carries tanks?

I got your answer what about a cube over your half wall!!! And extend your half wall 6" each way to make it 24" for your tank and then have your half wall stick out past your tank 13" wide. That would look ptretty sweet I think!!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, I think, it's between:

60 cube - 24 x 24 x 24
75 - 48 x 18 x 21 Tall

Use the half wall for support, and extend the wall. Then run the sump into the basement. This eliminates some issues, like where I keep my ATO container and other equipment, and makes water changes super efficient.

Advantage of the 60 cube, I'd only need 1 Radion. While the 75 would require 2.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cube! Do a center overflow than its viewable from all 4 sides. That would be sweet. Lighting may be tricky though.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How would a center overflow work? Never seen one. Lighting is simple, I have a low ceiling...

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The problem I see with a center overflow, and a small cube would be algae growth in the overflow. I would think you'd want to cap it off.

Otherwise (not speaking from experience), I would think you just build a square overflow in the middle of the tank, and put your plumbing in there. You could then build your rock-work around it. Hmm... Not that it's my money, or my tank, but I'm thinking you should do a a 30"x30" cube, with a 6" center overflow.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's two quick designs:

[attachment=64285:name]

I hate to admit, I like the rock design possibilities better with the rectangular tank. Also, less of an obstruction into my walkway- only 5" out, while the Cube would add 11" all in front, or front and back split.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hate to admit, I like the rock design possibilities better with a wider tank. Also, less of an obstruction - only 5" out, while the Cube would add 11" all in front, or front and back split.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you could pull off a center overflow, I'd say go with the cube. With the space on either side, having the tank viewable from all 4 sides would be pretty impressive. But...I'm just seeing the images above, and like you said, you have to consider your living space.

Where would you put an overflow on the rectangular tank? Depending upon the layout of the room...I almost wanna say to pull the rectangular tank to one end and run it peninsula style so the plumbing isn't visible on either side. But again, might not be as convenient depending on the room it's going in.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, I could slide the rectangular tank to one post or the other, and bury the plumbing into the column. I like the symmetry in the middle though!

Hell, I thought initially of filling the entire 79.5" width with glass, and have a super long narrow tank, but that's back to 12" deep...

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't do a cube do something like 40" x 20 x 20 the it's a rectangle but you can still do center overflow middle of tank. And make that 10"x6" your return would come out of there as well. Obviously this would be a custom build but talk about bad a$$

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Who carries tanks?

Munch;241510 said:
Yeah, I could slide the rectangular tank to one post or the other, and bury the plumbing into the column. I like the symmetry in the middle though!

Hell, I thought initially of filling the entire 79.5" width with glass, and have a super long narrow tank, but that's back to 12" deep...
Why only 12" deep?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2