Why NOT to use glass sumps

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, sump has been leaking for a few weeks after a huge ordeal got the new acrylic sump done and pulled the old one out today and found this. Not only did I never see this but it's cracked top to bottom all the way through. Don't get me wrong I've used glass the past 5 yrs not scaring anyone just giving this pos sump a hard time ha!

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Howd you miss that one?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
dr.schlegs;212584 said:
JB Weld that sucker, you'll be good to go.
I was thinking Gorilla tape! LOL

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;212587 said:
is that a glass sump with acrylic baffles?
Yep and the acrylic swelled and caused this.

No more glass causes got this beauty

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Yup, itll do that, I always allow a 1/16" space between the glass and acrylic baffles, then plenty of silicone. This allows for swell. Im seem to be one of few who has never had any issues with acrylic baffles in a glass sump, most people have issues with them coming loose.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;212595 said:
Yup, itll do that, I always allow a 1/16" space between the glass and acrylic baffles, then plenty of silicone. This allows for swell. Im seem to be one of few who has never had any issues with acrylic baffles in a glass sump, most people have issues with them coming loose.
I did leave a 1/16 gap not my first sump I've done acrylic baffles. Just got unlucky I suppose.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Holy crap, dude! I'm glad you posted this. I might have to change to an all acrylic sump when I redo mine this month based on this business.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the important thing to learn is use like materials. Using a glass tank as a sump, use glass baffles. Acrylic sump, acrylic baffles.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;212902 said:
I think the important thing to learn is use like materials. Using a glass tank as a sump, use glass baffles. Acrylic sump, acrylic baffles.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol whatever drew. I've done this numerous times. The real lesson is don't use a tank made in 1993 lmao.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
SAZAMA;212940 said:
wouldn't this effect your salinity? how often do you check it?
Wouldn't what affect the salinity? A leak?

SAZAMA;212940 said:
wouldn't this effect your salinity? how often do you check it?
It would only effect the salinity if saltwater was leaking out and being replaced with fresh water from his auto top off, if there is no ato then only the water level would be effected not salinity.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;212925 said:
Lol whatever drew. I've done this numerous times. The real lesson is don't use a tank made in 1993 lmao.
I think my glass sump was made in 1983. But seriously.... acrylic expands and contracts differently than glass. Even if you leave a gap, you still run the risk of cracking. Ive seen many people use acrylic baffles in glass tanks and only a couple have had breakage. The rest were just plain lucky.

Question is: Are you willing to risk flooding your house and ruin your floors because you wanted to go the cheap/easy route of using acrylic baffles in a glass tank?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea I turned off my ato the past few weeks to make sure I didn't get any crazy salinity swings.