1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Worm ???

Discussion in 'Pests and Possible Troublesome Inverts' started by Tran_Hung, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Tran_Hung

Tran_Hung Copepod

I just notice that when I'm feeding they come out in school, those are flatworms?? Harm or harmless?

2. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

got pics?

3. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Pics would help a bunch could be anything
    Im leaning towards bristle worms with the limited info but who knows without pics

4. Tran_Hung

Tran_Hung Copepod

[video]https://vimeo.com/160427629[/video]
    What are those?

5. Balz3352

Nailed it!! Bristle worm. Good scavengers they vast vast majority of reefers leave them. Try not to touch them with bare hands there is a reason they're called bristle worms

6. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

That's quite a collection of bristleworms you've got there. Depending on your tank size, there might be an overpopulation problem. I'm just guessing, though, based on them swarming when you feed the tank.

7. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

I think of it like this, for every 1 that you see you probably have 5 that you can't see. When I see them out at night I use a pair of tweezers and pull them out gently so they don't break and split. They are great at consuming uneaten food and detritus, but as mentioned they can over populate and become an eyesore. So kept in check I think they are fine, when you start to see them on every rock I'd start with some manual removal.

8. Balz3352

You could put some shrimp or something in nylons and theyd get stuck pull nylons iut and more you're set.

9. Tran_Hung

Tran_Hung Copepod

Thanks. I will leave them for now. Because that the place I use to feed the fishs. That why they crowded under that rock, as long as it not harm to my corals.

10. Fitz19d

Fitz19d Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

I personally feel they self regulate pretty well, just means that there's that much excess food for them. Remove them and might have more food decaying.

11. NanoNexx

NanoNexx Copepod

Agreed, those are definitely bristleworms, freaked me out the first time too, but I think they're harmless.

12. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

I cought one a few days ago and dropped in a glass of ro water and it lived for three days! These things are bullet proof